Fortified Church Prejmer

Fortified Church Prejmer in Prejmer
Fortified Church Prejmer in Prejmer
Fortified Church Prejmer in Prejmer
Fortified Church Prejmer in Prejmer
Fortified Church Prejmer in Prejmer
Fortified Church Prejmer in Prejmer


The most valuable piece of furniture is a Late-Gothic folding altar from the middle of the 15th century. The central panel shows a crucifix flanked by Mary and John. The eight panels represent the Lamentation, the Entombment, the Resurrection, the three women at the tomb, the Washing of the Feet, the Last Supper, Christ before the High Priest and the Flagellation.

Renaissance choir stalls

The choir stalls were made in 1525-1526 by a master "M.S.". It has Renaissance motifs. Remnants of an earlier Gothic flat carving have been used.


On the inside of the ring wall there are numerous chambers on 3-4 levels as a refuge for the individual families of the village. Access is via open, wooden corridors.

Ring wall

The unfortified Church of the Holy Cross is surrounded by a particularly massive enclosing wall. In the first stage - probably still in the 13th century - an oval 3m-thick enclosing wall was built. In the second construction stage, the wall was widened by an additional 1.5m and strengthened with four flanking towers erected in front of the defence wall. Today, the wall is 12-14m high and has an average thickness of 4.5m. The inner diameter of the defence wall measures approximately 70m. There is a wide wall-walk in the upper section of the defence wall providing access to the numerous loopholes and machicolation, as well as to the corbelled garderobe.


A strong gate defense has been built in the south of the castle. A 32 m long corridor forms the entrance to the castle. Several portcullises and oak gates secured this passage. In the 16th century, a bailey was built in front of the entrance, which encloses the horseshoe-shaped town hall courtyard. The outer bailey walls are also equipped with arrow slits, machicolations and cast cores. The outer facade of the outer bailey, 14 m high, is decorated with blind arcades in the Renaissance style. A turret was built over the entrance. A shield wall was built between the outer bailey and the south-west tower, enclosing a yard in which farm buildings and storehouses are located. The so-called baker’s yard was built between the bailey and the southwest tower. There was a bakery and a horse mill here.


1211 In the certificate of award that Andreas II issues to the Teutonic Order, the border river "Tortillou" is mentioned. This is revering to the origin of the german name of the today village "Tarteln".
1218 Start of construction of the Holy Cross Church, most probably by the Teutonic Order.
1240 King Béla IV gave the four Brașov region communities of Feldioara, Sânpetru, Hărman and Prejmer (Tartilleri) to the Cistercian order. This is the first documented mention of Prejmer.
1278 The place is plundered by the Tatars.
1385 The "Conradus Conradi plebanus de Tartla (Prejmer)" is mentioned at the University of Vienna.
1461-1515 Reconstruction work on the Cross Church, including the construction of the bell tower.
1508 During a dispute over the demarcation of the border in Prejmer, the nobleman Peter Béldy is beheaded by a wheelwright (someone who makes carriage wheels). The village had to pay a high military fee because of the murder of Peter Béldy, it was helped by the town and the Brașov region.
1510 In Prejmer live 230 families, 4 settlers, 11 widows, 8 poor, 3 millers, 1 bell-ringer, 12 shepherds and 6 servants. In the village there are 16 deserted farms, a school, a church house and a noble farm.
1529 Moldovan prince Petru Rareş invades the Brașov region and sets fire to the village.
1531 The Prejmer fortified church is taken by Stephan Majlath on behalf of Prince Johann Zápolya and given back to the residents for a sum of money.
1552 The Moldavian prince destroys the enclosing wall of the village and burns it down. The fortified church is besieged in vain.
1599 Troops of the Voivode Michael the Brave burn down Prejmer and murder many residents.
1600 A Cossack (Russian-Ukrainian) captain has 20 people from Prejmer captured, their eyes burned out and then impaled. In the same year troops of Michael the Brave burn the place. Two years later, General Radul Vayda camped near the village and burned it again.
1611 The troops of Prince Gabriel Báthori burn down Prejmer among other Brașov region communities. In the same year, on September 17, the Amir Bassa with Turks and Tartars came so unexpectedly through the pass to Prejmer that he captured 80 people in the field.
1658 An army consisting of Turks and Tartars, Moldovans, Wallachians and Cossacks breaks into the Brașov region and burns the villages. The fortified church is besieged. Prejmer surrenders to the Cossack General Ottonello.
1662 The village is besieged by the Turks. They demand large amounts of food and livestock.
1678 The people of Prejmer seize the opportunity that the noble family of Béldy has fallen out of favor with the Turks, attack their ancestral castle in Budille and destroy it.
1704 The Kurucs plunder the Prejmer Castle and capture the judge Johannes Kaufmes. The place is burned down by the kurucs.
1706 Imperial troops occupy the fortified church.
1708 Kuruts plunder the village again.
1718-1719 Devastating plague epidemic. 181 houses in the village remain uninhabited.
1792 The drawbridge is replaced by a stone bridge resting on eight stones.
1822 Some people of Prejmer murder a count's subject. The following year they are sentenced to heavy prison terms by the Brașov magistrate.
1850-1880 The moat is filled in with earth.
1960 A watchtower is removed.

Places in the surroundings