Fortified Church Nadeș

Fortified Church Nadeș in Nadeș
Fortified Church Nadeș in Nadeș
Fortified Church Nadeș in Nadeș
Fortified Church Nadeș in Nadeș
Fortified Church Nadeș in Nadeș
Fortified Church Nadeș in Nadeș

Bell tower

The bell tower on the west side has Romanesque features. The stepped arched portal made of stone suggests that there were two columns in the steps. A semicircular vault on the north side of the tower, which has a simple cornice on the inside, also indicates the existence of a Romanesque basilica in this building, a building that was probably built in the second half of the 13th century.


The classicist altar, created around 1800, has a wooden crucifix as the central image, with painted architecture and landscape behind it. The central image is flanked by Corinthian columns, above which is a massive cornice on which there are two figures of angels, with the eye of God between them.


The brick pulpit on the north side of the round-arched triumphal arch has a simple pulpit in the style of the altar.

Baptismal font

The sandstone baptismal font consists of a cone, above it a cylinder with a round bar and the chalice, which has an octagonal shape in plan. The facets of the chalice are decorated with crosses inscribed in a circle, with a round knob below each. The base of the baptismal font is also decorated with cross ornamentation inscribed in a circle. According to its shape, the baptismal font may date back to the time when the tower was built, i.e. from the 13th century.


The organ was built in 1807 by the organ builder Samuel Mätz from Biertan. It was damaged when the roof collapsed in 2017 and is no longer in the church.


A smaller bell has been preserved in the tower. It was cast in 1470 and bears the inscription "helf got maria berat". This is the first known German inscription on a bell in Transylvania. The larger bell was cast in 1923.

Tower clock

A tower clock is mentioned as early as 1680. A new one was purchased in 1914. You can see the old tower clock in the picture.


The church is surrounded by an irregular pentagon, which has a tower in each of the two eastern corners, one quarter of which is in the circular wall, three quarters are set in front of the wall. Judging by the ground plan and the arrow slits and machicolations, the ring wall must have been built in the 15th century. In the southwest is a single-storey entrance building. Two towers were demolished in 1880.


1250-1300 The bell tower on the west side has Romanesque features. A Romanesque basilica with a tower was probably built around this time.
1301 First documented mention. During a border inspection, "terra Nadas" is mentioned. The pastor Ulricus of Nadeș complains to the Pope about excessive taxes.
1309 First mention of St. Martin's Church from Nadeș.
1343 Nadeș is owned by Jakob, son of Dezső and grandson of Kemény. So it's a subservient village.
1400-1500 Judging by the ground plan and the loopholes and pechnoses, the curtain wall may have been built in the 15th century.
1446-1447 Michael of Nadeș gives Nadeș and other places from this area, to the hospital and the Holy Spirit Chapel of Oradea.
1450-1500 During construction work in the 19th century, coins from the time of Matthias Corvinus were found in the sacristy wall.
1453 King Ladislaus V gave Nadeș and other places to Johann Greb of Vingard. The head of the hospital in Oradea protests against this.
1662 The Austrian-supported candidate for the Transylvanian throne, Kemény, comes to Nadeș with 9,000 soldiers.
1693 The Austrian military is billeted in Nadeș.
1830 The residents of Nadeș complain about their landlord, the nobleman Karl Vass.
1848 In Nadeș there is a camp of the last contingent in the war, mostly from old people.
1851-1853 Today's hall church is built. From the previous buildings, traces of two different church roofs can be seen on the east side of the surviving bell tower.
1880 Two towers of the circular wall have been removed.
1883 The tower receives a tin roof.
2017 Part of the ceiling collapsed and the organ was damaged. With donations and help from the hometown community, the church was repaired.

Places in the surroundings