Teutonic Order Castle Feldioara

Teutonic Order Castle Feldioara in Feldioara
Teutonic Order Castle Feldioara in Feldioara
Teutonic Order Castle Feldioara in Feldioara
Teutonic Order Castle Feldioara in Feldioara
Teutonic Order Castle Feldioara in Feldioara
Teutonic Order Castle Feldioara in Feldioara

Two castles

It cannot be said with certainty that this is the Teutonic Order Castle. There have been two castles throughout history: the church castle, which was built as an earthen castle by the German knights between 1211 and 1224, and the peasant castle, which is now described as Teutonic Order Castle. There is a thesis that originally a Romanesque chapel was built on the site of today's choir of the fortified church, to which the Order House adjoined in the west. Excavations have shown that the farmer's castle, which today shows characteristics of the 15th century, had three or even four predecessor buildings, possibly also the Teutonic Order Castle.

City ​​walls

A document from 1420 mentions the city walls of Feldioara to be erected and completed. Remains of these walls are preserved in the south of the castle on the slope towards the river.


1211 King Andreas II summoned the Teutonic Order to Transylvania for the purpose of border defense and Christian missions. From now on, the Țara Bârsei/Burzenland was ruled from Feldioara.
1226 In February, a messenger from the Teutonic Order in Rome reported that they had evacuated Țara Bârsei/Burzenland.
1240 King Béla IV gives the Cistercian Order the patronage and the income of some churches in Țara Bârsei/Burzenland, namely Feldioara and three other villages. This is the first documented mention of Feldioara.
1377 A royal privilege shows that Feldioara and the other 12 free communities of the Țara Bârsei/Burzenland form a judicial and administrative unit with Brasov.
1379 King Ludwig grants the Saxons of Feldioara the right to hold a market in every Thursday of the week.
1380 King Ludwig grants Feldioara the right of asylum for the space within the wall around the church. This is one of the only mentions of church asylum in Transylvania.
1400-1500 The present castle has features of the 15th century, there were three or even four predecessor buildings.
1413 În Feldioara există un spital de leproși și o infirmieră.
1432 Feldioara suffers great damage from a Turkish invasion.
1510 In the village 158 families, 12 widows, 6 poor widows, 9 poor landlords, 13 shepherds and 2 millers are living. Two houses are deserted.
1553 Plague epidemic.
1599-1600 Troops of Michael the Brave burn Feldioara down several times.
1611 During the fighting between Prince Gabriel Báthori and the Wallachian voivode Radu Şerban, Feldioara was burned down.
1612 Battle of Feldioara between Brasov's troops and those of Prince Gabriel Báthori. The Brasov army is defeated by the betrayal of the mercenary troops. 300 Saxon citizens and farmers and 39 students from Brasov high school perish.
1658 Feldioara and other Țara Bârsei/Burzenland villages are burned down by the Turks and their followers.
1672 In the village 41 families, 13 settlers and 8 widows are living.
1690 Imperial troops burn the village.
1718-1719 In the village, 377 inhabitants die of the plague. 70 houses are empty.
1838 An earthquake causes destruction to the castle.
2012 The castle was "restored" resp. newly built. The current state in the Disneyland style is a symbol of our time.

Places in the surroundings