Fortified Church Aţel

Fortified Church Aţel in Ațel
Fortified Church Aţel in Ațel
Fortified Church Aţel in Ațel
Fortified Church Aţel in Ațel
Fortified Church Aţel in Ațel
Fortified Church Aţel in Ațel

Baroque altar

The baroque altar from 1792 is the work of the master Johannes Folberth/Sighisoara. The central picture shows the Crucifixion. To the right and left of it are wooden sculptures of Peter and Paul, above them a resurrection. Twisted column shafts, strong cornices, Corinthian capitals are part of the baroque formal vocabulary. The network and flourishes of the lateral decoration show rococo forms.

Baptismal font

In the choir of the church there is a Gothic baptismal font with an octagonal cross-section, reminiscent of the shape of finials.


The late Gothic pews, dated 1516, are decorated with inlaid work and tendril ornaments. It shows the same pattern as in Biertan and is probably a work of the Sighisoara master Johannes Reichmut.


A tombstone with a coat of arms is placed in the sacristy. In the upper field of the transversely divided coat of arms, a half-lion standing upright is visible, with a raised paw and a tongue hanging out. In his paws he holds a flower stalk with three flowers. The tombstone has an inscription stating that Sophia Thorozakaii died at the age of 35 on June 29, 157x.


Samuel Mätz from Biertan built the present organ in 1802.


Of the two bells from the 15th century, the larger one bears the Latin inscription "O rex glorie Jesu Christi veni cum pace", the smaller one is decorated with five medallions with images of saints.


The central nave has three square pillars. The pillar in the south-east of the church has an octagonal capital around which a reptile twines, gnawing on a tendril that twines around the capital. Another capital wears a face mask.

West portal

Dating to 1429, in the west there is a richly decorated portal from risalit. The 2.1 m wide jamb of the west portal reminds of the portals in Curciu and Bagaciu. The six-stepped reveal is profiled by round bars and pear-shaped bars, alternating with double coving separated by two angular bars. The wide capital friezes are made of tendril work with rose petals, grapes and vine leaves.


At the beginning of the 15th century the church was surrounded by an oval wall. A four-storey gate tower is built in the south-east, the ground floor of which is barrel-vaulted and protected by oak gates and portcullis. On the third floor is a room furnished for living purposes. Another wall is built in front of the gate tower and weirs are built, and the outer wall also has towers and bastions. The north tower is demolished in 1959. You discover an underground passage that connects the tower with the opposite farmhouse No. 370.


1283 The village is mentioned for the first time. The bishop of Alba Iulia testifies that the chapter ceded three parts of the tithe to the priests of Medias. Among these, Walter from Aţel is mentioned first.
1300-1250 Construction of a three-nave pier basilica with transept and bell tower.
1365 In a document of King Ludwig Aţel is called a town.
1420 The choir and the side aisles are elevated. The choir reaches a height of 11.4 m. A sacristy with an upper floor is added to the north choir wall.
1450-1470 The church is undergoing defense modifications. The nave and chancel receive new vaults. The bell tower was given two floors of brickwork and a wooden battlements above.
1462 Pope Pius II orders the Transylvanian bishop to protect the parish priest Sigismund of Aţel against Count George Tabiachi.
1466 King Matthias confers blood jurisdiction on the community. The community also obtains the right to hold annual fairs and weekly markets.
1471 King Matthias states that around the church of Aţel a fort with towers, walls and other bulwarks has been built. For the defense of this church fort, the third part of the inhabitants shall remain behind in case of a general mobilization.
1515 King Vladislaus II appoints Count Peter Thobiassy as a hereditary count as a reward for his services to the Crown.
1516 The Provincial Assembly rejects and does not recognize the appointment as hereditary count, as it violates the prerogatives granted by previous kings. At the request of the bishop and the royal judge, the inhabitants of Aţel present agree to recognize Count Peter as hereditary count for life.
1516 140 families live in the village, two widows, two settlers, two shepherds, a schoolmaster and a miller.
1868 The whole inner ring with the south tower and the old town hall is demolished. In the east, a new school building is erected in place of the ring wall.
1959 The north tower is demolished. In the process, one discovers an underground passage that connects the tower with the opposite farmhouse No. 370.

Places in the surroundings