Protestant Church Teaca

Protestant Church Teaca in Teaca
Protestant Church Teaca in Teaca
Protestant Church Teaca in Teaca
Protestant Church Teaca in Teaca
Protestant Church Teaca in Teaca
Protestant Church Teaca in Teaca

Baroque altar

According to an inscription, the baroque altar was erected in 1797. In the center of the altar is a wooden crucifix, behind which is a depiction of Jerusalem. The central picture is flanked by columns and two wooden sculptures of Moses and John. In the upper part of the altar is a depiction of the Risen Christ with a banner of victory, next to it are two figures of angels. The altar is connected to the walls of the chancel by wooden partitions. Johann Folbarth from Sighisoara is mentioned as the builder of the altar.


The pulpit has a late Gothic parapet with fish-bubble ornamentation. The baroque canopy bears the date 1777.


Johannes Hahn had built an organ in 1765, of which the case remains. A new organ was built in 1900 by Karl Einschenk in the historical case. It has two manuals, pedal and 15 stops.

Gothic details

The triple-stepped Gothic west portal has round and pear-bar molding. The keystones in the choir of the church have rosette and double cross.

Enclosing wall

There is no trace extant of the enclosing wall mentioned in 1666 and presented in a 19th century drawing. It was pulled down in 1870.


1228 The area where Teaca and other villages are located was owned by the "comitis Coquinus". This noble family is known as Kökényes-Renold. They are said to have immigrated from France in the 12th century.
1300-1400 Construction of an early Gothic basilica, the naves of which are separated by pillared arcades.
1315 First documented mention of the village under the name ("Theke").
1486 Michael de Zob, owner of the village, issues a charter for Teaca, with this charter the legal situation of Teaca is largely aligned with that of Saxon villages on royal soil. The market administration and the lower jurisdiction is in the hands of the market authority, which consists of a market count and jurors of the village.
1579 The magistrate of Teaca, consisting of the market count and 12 jurors of the village, writes to the magistrate of Sibiu that he should support craftsmen from the village and include them in guilds in other cities.
1661 The place is burned down by Turkish troops.
1688 The "old castle" is no longer used because the church and school are surrounded by a ring wall in the middle of the market and provide protection against raids.
1753 The central nave is covered with a baroque barrel vault and a porch is built to the north of the church.
1799 The bell tower will have an additional storey and the roof of the church will be covered with tiles.
1870 An enclosing wall, mentioned in 1666 and shown in a 19th-century drawing, was demolished in 1870. Today there are no leftovers.
1896 2360 inhabitants live in the village, of which 1126 are Saxons, 599 Magyars, 451 Romanians and Gypsies, 184 Jews, Armenians and others.
1909 The old chancel will be removed and a new chancel with a polygonal finish will be built.
1944 Most Saxons leave the town in autumn.
1996 Significant damage was found to the church, which led to the county authorities arranging repair work.

Places in the surroundings