Gothic Church Slimnic

Gothic Church Slimnic in Slimnic
Gothic Church Slimnic in Slimnic
Gothic Church Slimnic in Slimnic
Gothic Church Slimnic in Slimnic
Gothic Church Slimnic in Slimnic
Gothic Church Slimnic in Slimnic

Baroque altar

Preceding altars of today's baroque altar are mentioned in 1513 and 1729. The current altar was erected in 1773, using older paintings from the beginning of the 18th century. In the predella is a picture of the Last Supper which appears to date from the early 18th century. For the central image of the altar, three interchangeable images were made by the Medias painter Viktor Valepagi. They depict the birth, crucifixion and resurrection. A top panel depicts the baptism of Jesus. The altar is decorated with Corinthian columns and Baroque carvings.


The pulpit was donated by Pastor Michael Soterius (1746-1762). It has rococo decoration. The wrought-iron stair railing was erected in 1792 at the time of Pastor Josef Bruckner (1790-1804). The goblet-shaped alabaster baptismal font is dated 1759.


Organs in Stolzenburg are mentioned in 1698 and 1718. The current baroque case is dated 1773. It was also painted by the Mediaan painter Viktor Valepagi. The organ from 1773 is the work of Johannes Hahn. The portraits of Empress Maria Theresa and her son, Emperor Joseph II, are attached to the side veil boards of the organ. The organ has pedal, manual and 10 registers.


A pre-Reformation bell bears the inscription "O Rex gloriae Jesu Christe veni cum pace". Two new bells were purchased in 1925.


1282 First documentary mention of the place, as "Reynaldus plebanus de Stolchunbercht decanus provinciáé Zibiniensis" a person from the place is mentioned in documents.
1350-1400 Construction of the Gothic hall church. The nave measures 17m in length and the chancel 15m.
1394 A church dedicated to St. Bartholomew the Apostle is mentioned.
1438 During a Turkish campaign, the community suffers great damage.
1468 There are 184 farms in Slimnic.
1500 The beamed ceiling of the hall is replaced by a ribbed brick vault.
1658 The Turks burn down the village. The castle is not taken.
1659 Almost 400 residents die of the plague.
1704 The village is burned down by Kurucs.
1706 The Kurucs under Lorenz Pekri conquer the castle through betrayal.
1707 The Kurucs burn the roof of the castle and raze the outer wall. There is famine in the village.
1712 There are 89 Saxon families and 33 widows living in the village.
1719 In the village, 238 Saxons, 180 Romanians and 9 foreigners die of the plague.
1905 In the rectory the foundations of a tower were uncovered, as well as a monastery-like complex with seven cells, a corridor and a spacious hall. A wall connected the rectory and the church.

Places in the surroundings