Fortified Church Pelișor

Fortified Church Pelișor in Pelişor
Fortified Church Pelișor in Pelişor
Fortified Church Pelișor in Pelişor
Fortified Church Pelișor in Pelişor
Fortified Church Pelișor in Pelişor
Fortified Church Pelișor in Pelişor


The current altar erected was inaugurated in 1832. The classical altar has the preaching Savior as the main image. In the background Crucifixion, Good Shepherd, Vines, Temple, Sheaves and Cornerstone. The wooden frame consists of a curved architrave, a pointed gable and two columns and pilasters.


A chalice-shaped brick pulpit can also be dated to the beginning of the 19th century.

Baptismal font

The baptismal font has the shape of a chalice and a wooden lid and shows classical features. It was erected in 1830. It is a gift from the Bielz widow, who received the mediaeval stone baptismal font in return.


The organ, a work by Prussian native Johannes Prause, was installed in 1796. The organ has manual, pedal and 12 registers and works on the pneumatic system. In 1999 the organ was brought to Bucharest and used there from then on.


The great bell was cast in 1928. A middle bell is dated 1718 and the small bell dates from 1512.


A simple curtain wall was built in the 15th century, reinforced by four towers. The gate tower was protected by portcullis and a massive gate. Above the gateway was a heated room. Another tower stood to the east of the complex, it had a pedestrian entrance and shooting niches. A third tower stood in the southwest, it is only recognizable as a ruin. To the west, towards the hillside, the curtain wall was double. The surviving sections of the ring wall show that it was equipped with three rows of loopholes. The outer ring wall in the west is somewhat more recent. It was built in the 17th century. Even today it reaches a height of 10 m in places and is equipped with two rows of embrasures.


1357 First documented mention under the name "Magare". The place, together with the villages of Birghis, Zlagna and other places, belongs to the brothers Werus and Stephan, the sons of Count Stephan from Altina.
1400-1500 Construction of a towerless Gothic hall church. The stone walls of the hall are supported by buttresses supported. The chorus has a 5/8 degree.
1500 The place belongs to the Nocrich see and is inhabited by 52 families, a school principal and 2 shepherds. It can be seen that Pelișor has overcome subjection and become a free community.
1676 The Saxon University forbids the inhabitants of Pelișor to leave unless they give up their property.
1695 22 landlords live in the village, there are 15 abandoned farms.
1790 A major fire destroyed part of the town.

Places in the surroundings