Fortified Church Homorod

Fortified Church Homorod in Homorod
Fortified Church Homorod in Homorod
Fortified Church Homorod in Homorod
Fortified Church Homorod in Homorod
Fortified Church Homorod in Homorod
Fortified Church Homorod in Homorod

Altar and organ

Altar and organ form one unit. The organ prospect is decorated with foliage and four figures of angels. The main image of the altar is a crucifixion flanked by columns, with wooden sculptures of Peter and Paul on the sides. Above the main image is an inscription of religious content with the date 1794. The baroque organ, built by Andreas Eitel (Brasov), bears the date 1793. It has manual, pedal and 10 stops.


The pulpit crown and parapet are painted. An inscription indicates that the work was done by Georg Pöldner and Johann Folbarth from Sighisoara around 1793. The fields of the pulpit parapet show allegorical images to Bible texts.

Wall paintings

In the choir are preserved fragments of wall paintings. Three superimposed layers from different stylistic periods can be identified : the oldest layer dates back to the 13th century. In the concha of the apse there is Christ in the mandorla, surrounded by the evangelist symbols, below a frieze of apostles under arcades with cloverleaf ending, in between slender brick-covered turrets. Of the later paintings, a depiction of the Man of Sorrows and an angel with a banner can be seen. This layer is covered by a crucifixion, which can be dated to the first half of the 15th century.


Above the choir there is a mighty eight-story tower built, the keep of the fortified church. The tower has a side length of 11m. The thickness of the wall is 3 m at the base of the tower and 2 m on the fourth floor. The second floor of the tower receives a cross vault. The walls receive long, narrow firing slits. In the northern side extension of the tower, there is a Gothic round-arched portal set in house stone with a reveal consisting of three round bars between two fillets. The tower has embrasures and a wooden battlements.

Northwest Tower

In the northwest of the inner ring wall, a four-story pentagonal tower is built in 1657. The 10-meter high masonry receives a decoration in blue-red tones. The tower has a wooden battlements and is covered with shingles.

Double ring of walls

The church is surrounded by a double ring of walls in the shape of a rectangle in the 15th century. The inner ring wall has a height between 7 and 8 meters. Towers with pitch embrasures and square ground plan are placed in the four corners. They have inward sloping monopitch roofs. There are two break-offs preserved. The outer wall has no towers. It enclosed the Zwinger, where cattle were herded during sieges. The circular walls have loopholes and casting holes. On the north and east side the battlements are preserved.


1200-1300 Construction of a Romanesque basilica, possibly also a hall church.
1400 In a register of interest payments of the parish priests of the Rupea chapter. Homorod is listed. This is the first documentary mention of the place.
1452 Among the representatives of the Sibiu Province of the Seven Chairs, Petrus Margarethe de Hamrodin is mentioned. From the document it appears that Homorod is a free village on royal soil.
1500 Homorod is a free village of the Rupea chair, in which 68 families, a schoolmaster and 4 shepherds live. There is a mill in the village.
1623 A major fire destroys the village, church and fortifications.
1657 A four-storey pentagonal tower is built in the north-west of the inner ring wall.
1658 Turkish troops burn down the village.
1663 Cossacks, Tatars and Moldavians cause great damage when passing through the village.
1669 The "Honnes Mertenin" is hanged because she stole about 100 guilders and a lot of linen from a locked box in the fortified church from another woman.
1690 Imperial soldiers shoot some men and boys from Homorod.
1700-1800 The galleries are attached to the walls of the hall. The gallery parapets are painted.
1792 The vaulted ceiling of the church hall collapses during a church fire. The hall receives its current coffered ceiling.
1899 The northeast tower is demolished and the new school is built in its place.

Places in the surroundings