Fortified church Daia

Fortified church Daia in Daia
Fortified church Daia in Daia
Fortified church Daia in Daia
Fortified church Daia in Daia
Fortified church Daia in Daia
Fortified church Daia in Daia


The baroque altar thrones on a stone table. It is dated to 1797. The central picture - the Crucified with Mary and John - is a work of the Sibiu painter Martin Stock. It is flanked by two Corinthian columns. Above the cranked cornice is a medallion surrounded by tendrils and foliage.

The church organ

The mechanical organ was built around 1800 by Johannes Hahn . It has a manual and 8 registers.

The bells

In 1868 the large bell was recast by Josef Gräf. There are currently two bells from 1926.

The pulpit

The baroque pulpit lid bears the year 1796. Above a classic cornice with a frieze of tendrils is the structure richly decorated with angel heads, volutes and tendrils. The handrail to the pulpit has a wrought iron panel with baroque motifs and the monogram J.V.

The ring wall

The church is surrounded by a simple ring wall with an oval ground plan. The castle area is used as a graveyard.


1150-1200 The village is founded. The fortified churc was built shortly after the village is founded as a place of worship for the citizens.
1200 - 1300 The construction of the churc begins, which is actually a three-aisled Romanesque towerless basilica. The enclosing wall, the arched arcades and the walled-up west portal have been preserved from the original building.
1327 The first documented mention takes place. Pastor Peter of "Talheim" (Daia) is a member of the Sibiu chapter assembly. This mention confirms that the church, at that time, is an important religious centre for the people.
1488 14 Families and 3 poor people live in Daia.
1500 The chancel receives its polygonal conclusion and the groined vault with lunettes. A simple niche for sacraments and remains of wall paintings, lancet windows in the aisles and buttresses on the choir, aisles and west facade date from this period.
1506 Mercenaries are paid from the treasury of the Sibiu province to pursue those who have robbed in Daia.
1572 There are 32 families in Daia
1586 During the plague in the city the conference of the Saxon National University is held outside in the village of Daia.
1698 The whole village burns down.
1719 During a plague epidemic, 104 people in Daia die.
1721 The village consists mostly of wooden houses. A gabled house in the village bears the year 1595.

Places in the surroundings