Fortified Church Archita

Fortified Church Archita in Archita
Fortified Church Archita in Archita
Fortified Church Archita in Archita
Fortified Church Archita in Archita
Fortified Church Archita in Archita
Fortified Church Archita in Archita

Baroque altar

The baroque altar erected in 1752 has two registers. On a simple base, 4 columns carry a powerfully curved architrave; the two central columns are twisted and decorated with wreaths of flowers. A carved crucifix stands in the narrow central niche. In the upper register stands the Risen Christ in a niche, with a radiant crown and flag of victory, above the eye of God. Right and left above the outer pillars are statues of Moses and Aaron. On the side, the altar is supplemented by baroque carvings. It was built by a master from Sighisoara named Philippi.

Baroque pulpit

The baroque pulpit from 1761, like the altar, was also made by the master from Sighisoara named Philipp.


The present organ with 12 stops dates from 1824 and was built in the workshop of Samuel Mätz / Biertan. Later, the altar and organ prospect were gilded.

Baptismal font

A stone, chalice-shaped baptismal font stands on a wooden, eight-sided base dating from 1749.

West tower

The west tower, its massiveness as well as the arcade arches indicate that it was built at the end of the 15th early 16th century, has 5 floors. The access to the second floor is through a staircase in the west wall. In this room there is a flue, which indicates that liquids could be boiled here in case of siege.

Ring wall

The church has a double curtain wall, two irregular rectangles, each with a tower in the corners. On the west side of the outer ring wall there is a gate tower, an old town hall, the castle keeper's apartment and - more recently - the community hall. The two ring walls are 7 m high on average. The inner wall is provided with bretèches. Of the original 9 four-storey towers of the circular walls, 7 have been preserved. The wooden battlements of the circular walls rest on a ledge and are supported by hanging trestles. At a distance of 3-4 m, frog mouth slits with rotatable wooden bolts open in the outer ring wall.


1250-1300 Construction of a Romanesque basilica.
1341 For the first time "Erked" appears in a document in which property claims to the neighboring village "Zoltán" (today Mihai Viteazu) are settled.
1356 In the complaint of Count James before the Transylvanian Voivode about the behavior of the Saxons of Saschiz, Archita, Roades, Crit, Mesendorf and Cloasterf, who broke into his estate in Vanatori.
1380-1400 The church is rebuilt in the Gothic style.
1456 The nobleman Thomas, son of Anton Siculus, has usurped the lands of Archita. The Saxons of the Seven Chairs complain to the king about this.
1500 The "Ergetten" community has 105 families, a school principal, 2 poor people, 7 shepherds, a mill and 9 deserted farms.
1503-1506 Tax rebates due to the poverty of the village
1604 Archita has to raise 10,000 guilders for General Basta's troops.
1608 There is general distress, so the inhabitants go to work in the neighboring Hungarian villages.
1703 The village has debts of 4769 guilders.
1748 On August 28 of this year almost the whole village burns down: 86 houses, the vicarage, the preacher's yard, the church and the fortified church. The three bells melt and the entire supply of crop and bacon in the fortified church is destroyed.
1793 The church receives the upper weir floor and a new roof.
1814 Major fire in the community, 84 Saxon and 21 Romanian houses fall victim.
1827 The village receives the fair privilege
1848 The community is burned down during the civil war. With the inhabitants hiding in the forest, nothing can be saved.

Places in the surroundings