Fortified Church Cristian

Fortified Church Cristian in Cristian
Fortified Church Cristian in Cristian
Fortified Church Cristian in Cristian
Fortified Church Cristian in Cristian
Fortified Church Cristian in Cristian
Fortified Church Cristian in Cristian


The classical altar is similar to the altar in Ghimbav; on four Corinthian columns is an architrave with an arch in the middle, above an eye of God with a wreath of rays, under the arch a blessing Christ based on the model by Bertel Thorwaldsen.


Three keystones have survived from the early Gothic church, one with a bust of Jesus, a second with a representation of the Lamb of God (Agnus-Dei) and a third with a late Romanesque rosette.

West portal

The western portal has a Romanesque semicircular archivolt. The robe consists of four steps in which stand columns with bud capitals or chalice capitals with leaf decoration, above an architrave, as is usual in Cistercian buildings. The columns are continued in the portal arch by round rods. Above the west portal is a round window with early Gothic tracery.

Ring wall

An oval-shaped double enclosing wall surrounds the church. There is a gate tower with an outwork in the southwest part of the ensemble. The inner wall is 6-10m high and 1.5-2m thick. The squat outer wall reaches a height of 3-4m. Of the initial nine towers, eight are still extant. Placed in front of the inner wall, the towers are interconnected via the squat curtain wall. Of the wooden wall-walk, which ran once on the inner side of the defence wall and providing access to the loopholes and the machicolation, only the holes for the wooden girder beams are still visible. A pentagonal tower was built in the west section of the outer wall in 1654. The church-fortress was surrounded by a moat. The storerooms and the wall-walk were demolished in 1899.


1250-1300 Construction of an early Gothic pillar basilica with a bell tower.
1362 First documented mention. King Ludwig relieves Cristian of taxes.
1397 The king certifies the documents on mill rights in Cristian.
1510 In the village live 124 families, 3 settlers, 12 widows, 9 poor people, a miller, a servant and 4 shepherds.
1611 Prince Gabriel Báthori's troops burn down Cristian and other Brasov region villages.
1658 Turkish troops, accompanied by Tatars, Moldovans and Cossacks, set fire to the Brasov region villages, including Cristian.
1704 Occupation of the fortified church by kurucs. The kurucs continue to plunder and rob in the following years.
1718-1719 Plague epidemic.
1779 Flood disaster caused by the damming of the brook.
1814 Of the 472 farms, 383 burn down.
1839-1841 The old church is demolished and the new present church is built.
1899 Storage chambers and battlements of the ring wall are removed.
1903 The bell tower was raised and acquired its current appearance, characterized by the square turrets.
1925 Three new bells are purchased, the original bells were melted down during the First World War.

Places in the surroundings