Churchcastle in Viscri

Churchcastle in Viscri in Viscri
Churchcastle in Viscri in Viscri
Churchcastle in Viscri in Viscri
Churchcastle in Viscri in Viscri
Churchcastle in Viscri in Viscri
Churchcastle in Viscri in Viscri


The central image of the classical altar from the 19th century is a blessing of children by the painter J. Pankratz.


The benches in the style of Transylvanian peasant furniture come from the 17th-19th centuries.


The baroque pulpit dates back to 1791.

Church organ

The current organ in the church dates from 1723 but has only been in use since 1817. It has 8 registers and a manual.


The large and small bells are undated, the middle one dates back to 1748. The small bell is decorated with medallions depicting a lion, a stag and Death and a suckling calf.


The museum, which was set up in the southern fortified building and parts of the warehouse floor, shows a comprehensive picture of Saxon life in Viscri with numerous historical objects, including furniture, textiles, pottery, agricultural and household implements and liturgical books. The Saxon festive costume of the village has evidently retained its shape over the centuries.


In the 13th century, the chapel and the residential tower, where the priest lived in his time, which is rather untypical, were surrounded by an oval ring wall. This wall belt has been preserved in its entirety. The wall is built of river stones and fieldstones. Over the years, the wall partially deteriorated. At the beginning of the 16th century, the ring wall was largely rebuilt and equipped with embrasures. It was also given a battlement, so that people could stand on the wall. At the entrance to the church stands the new gate tower, which has three floors, the uppermost with a wooden walkway, so that people can also stand there. A west tower and a north tower are built in front of the curtain wall. These were also built in the 16th century. In the middle of the 17th century, the four-floor west tower with a square ground plan and pyramid roof was built. The architects of the west tower were David Zako, Stephan Schullerus and Michael Falschessel. In the 18th century, the church was surrounded by a second belt of walls.


1400 Viscri is mentioned in a treaty as part of the Rupea Chapter.
1449 "comes Johannes de Weyzkyrch sedis de Koos" is mentioned as representing the Sibiu Province of the Seven Chairs. Viscri is therefore a free municipality of the Rupea see.
1494 Feud between Viscri and Bunesti.
1498 King Vladislav II intervenes in the dispute.
1500 In Viscri live 51 families, a schoolmaster and 2 shepherds.
1638 A fire causes great damage to the community.
1696 In a church inventory, tools and vestments from the Catholic period are mentioned.

Places in the surroundings