Fortified Church Ticușu

Fortified Church Ticușu in Ticușu
Fortified Church Ticușu in Ticușu
Fortified Church Ticușu in Ticușu
Fortified Church Ticușu in Ticușu
Fortified Church Ticușu in Ticușu
Fortified Church Ticușu in Ticușu

Organ and altar

The altar, built in late Baroque style with rococo influence, dates back to 1772 and was made by Johann Folbarth from Sighisoara. In the center of the altar is a wooden sculpture depicting the Crucified. Behind it is painted a landscape. The central image is flanked by two Corinthian columns and wooden sculptures - Paul and Peter. The predella bears the inscription "Verbum Dei manet in aeternum" (The word of God remains forever). Above the altar cornice are two sculptures of angels, above them rises the valuable Baroque organ, originally a work of Johannes Baumgartner (Sighisoara) from 1757 originally had one manual and one pedal. In the 19th century, the independent pedal was removed and the stops were enlarged in an attached case.


A brick swallow nest pulpit is located in the eastern bay of the church hall on the north wall. The pulpit lid from the second half of the 18th century has Baroque decoration, as does the altar. It is crowned by a Yahweh triangle surrounded with rays.

Baptismal font

In the north sacristy there is a massive wooden font connected with a reading desk. It bears the date 1743.

Ring wall

The ring wall has the shape of an irregular quadrilateral in the ground plan. The ring wall was originally about 8 m high, in each of the four corners a tower was built, which stood in the direction of the bisectors of the angle. In the southeast of the fortified church the tower is missing, because the school was built there. The western wall front, destroyed by the earthquake in 1802, had to be rebuilt. Today the ring wall has an average height of 5-6 meters. The embrasures are located in the northern wall at a distance of 6 meters. The wall and towers are built of quarry stone


1373 First documentary mention. A "Petrus Lucae de Thikus" is mentioned in a property entry in the Brasov region.
1494 The village receives a grant of 8 guilders from the treasury of the Seven Chairs for the construction of the church. Nothing has been preserved above ground from the medieval church.
1510 The village "Teyx" is part of the Rupea chair and inhabited by only 10 families. Hungarians are settled because so few people live in the village.
1658 The place is completely burned down by Tatars.
1802 The church tower, vault and curtain wall collapse during an earthquake.
1804-1806 Construction of the new bell tower.
1823-1827 A new church is being built.
1848 The cholera kills 72 Protestants.
1851-1852 Typhoid kills 73 people.
1871 Hungarian-speaking families no longer live in the community.

Places in the surroundings