Fortified Church Nocrich

Fortified Church Nocrich in Nocrich
Fortified Church Nocrich in Nocrich
Fortified Church Nocrich in Nocrich
Fortified Church Nocrich in Nocrich
Fortified Church Nocrich in Nocrich
Fortified Church Nocrich in Nocrich

Classical altar

Today's classical altar has a central painting by Franz Neuhauser (1816), depicting Jesus with a chalice. The oval crowning painting shows the creation of the world. The cornice supported by 4 Corinthian columns is crowned by a neoclassical structure, the altar is flanked by two amphorae.

Classical pulpit

The neoclassical pulpit, made in 1825, has a parapet decorated with four gilded reliefs, two biblical scenes, the symbol of the Decalogue and the Brukenthal coat of arms.


To the west of the pulpit hangs an epitaph in memory of Samuel von Brukenthal's grandfather, the king's judge Michael Breckner; it was made after 1724.


The organ that is in the church today was built by Samuel Mätz in 1806 and has 12 registers.

Bells & tower clock

The large and middle bells have German inscriptions and were cast in Sibiu in 1926. The small bell has a Latin inscription and is dated 1765. The clock in the tower still works and gives an insight into how it works.


A ring in the shape of an irregular pentagon was built around the Romanesque church in the 15th century. The ring was reinforced by 5 towers: in the north-west the bacon tower, in the west the "Turkish Tower", in the north a tower with a semicircular plan, in the north-east the "School Tower" and in the south-east the "Gate Tower". Three of these towers are still standing today.


1200-1300 In the 13th century a three-aisled Romanesque basilica with a western tower was built.
1263 Nocrich was first mentioned under the name "Nogrech". King Stephan the Younger gave the place to the son of Bans Ladislaus. This donation contradicts the Andreanum (The rights the Hungarian King gave to the Saxons) and could not prevail.
1351 The Nocrich See is mentioned for the first time under the name "Leuskyrch". Its representatives, Count Nikolaus of Marpod and Count Syffridus of Alțâna, take part in a meeting of the Sibiu Province of the Seven Chairs.
1454 The Archbishop of Gran orders all clergy and seculars in the Leschkirch See to hand over to the mayor of Sibiu the monstrances, chalices, books, pictures, bells and other objects they have stolen from devastated churches. This proves that various villages in the Hârtibaciu valley had lost their German population in the meantime.
1494 By tax income the Nocrich see is the smallest chair in the Sibiu province.
1500 Nocrich is inhabited by 35 families, a shepherd and a schoolmaster. Two farms are deserted.
1514 The voivode John Zápolya appoints the nobleman Michael Horwath from Micăsasa as the protector of the Nocrich chair, so that with a strong hand he puts an end to the many robberies the chair is subjected to. He is elected king's judge and holds this office for the next 32 years.
1520 The place receives support from the Sibiu Province for the fortification of the church.
1532 Nocrich is inhabited by 14 families.
1589 In Nocrich 2 annual markets and a weekly market are attested.
1690 The Nocrich chair has large debts to Hungarian nobles.
1695 32 Families and 2 widows live in Nocrich. 25 farms are deserted.
1707 Eight thousand marauding Kurutzes come to the Nocrich chair.
1721 Samuel von Brukenthal, the later governor of Transylvania, was born on the ninth of April of 1721. He is probably the most influential person in the recent history of Transylvania.
1799 A collection is made in Transylvania and the imperial crown lands for the new construction of the church and bell tower.
1800 The decision is made to build a new church. Carl Steinbach, district engineer of Fagarasi, draws up a plan and cost estimate (13,776 fl.).
1803-1806 Master mason Josef Pfeiffer and carpenter Johann Georg Rastel from Turnisor build the new church south of the old church in a north-south orientation. The costs amount to 8,950 fl., of which 1,000 florins are donated by Baron Brukenthal.
1900-1901 The largest part of the fortified church is demolished. The material is used to construct official buildings.

Places in the surroundings