Fortified Church Ighişu Nou

Fortified Church Ighişu Nou in Ighişu Nou
Fortified Church Ighişu Nou in Ighişu Nou
Fortified Church Ighişu Nou in Ighişu Nou
Fortified Church Ighişu Nou in Ighişu Nou
Fortified Church Ighişu Nou in Ighişu Nou
Fortified Church Ighişu Nou in Ighişu Nou

Baroque altar

The baroque altar is structured around the main image, a Crucifixion, flanked by Corinthian columns. It may have been made at the end of the 18th century. The image in the upper part represents the Resurrection.

Baptismal font

The classicist baptismal font has a chalice-like base and a dome-shaped top.

Choir and sacristy

The choir is spanned by a net vault of stone ribs. The ribs of the vault rest on columns, which in turn are supported by consoles. A choir keystone has a rosette. The sacristy north of the choir was built at the same time. The sacristy portal has a multiple profiled keel arch decorated with finials. The four Gothic chancel windows have rich tracery decoration. The church is rich in stone architectural sculptures: heads, grimaces and goblins can be found on the water slopes of the pillars and windowsills.


The organ was built in 1775. It has 13 registers and is the work of the organ builder Johannes Hahn.

Seating alcove

In the southern chancel wall there is a seating niche. The triangular pediment above the sedilia is crowned by a pelican depiction.


The choir and hall were decorated with wall paintings. Saint figures, the portrait of the prophet Jeremiah could be found. Remains of paint could also be identified on the outer facades and on the west portal.

West portal

The richly profiled west portal consists of five wall profiles each with pear and round bar structures, which end in a capital frieze depicting blossomed roses.

Bell tower

The belfry above the western part of the church hall, dating from the second half of the 15th century, is made of stone and houses a massive belfry with a vaulted ground floor. The tower walls are supported by high buttresses. The rectangular ground plan of the bell tower closes the whole width of the hall. Above the vaulted ground floor is a gallery open to the hall, which is covered with a diamond-net vault with clay ribs. The third, fourth and fifth floors have loopholes with narrow slits. The sixth storey is formed by a wooden-covered battlement, which also houses the oak belfry. Cast slits open between the hanging trestles that support the advanced battlements. A 12 m high hipped roof with a narrow ridge forms the end of the tower.


Two medieval bells have been preserved, one from 1496, which only has the year as an inscription, and a second, which bears the inscription "O rex glorie veni cum pace 1556".

Ring wall

The fortified church as it appears today has stylistic elements and military details from around 1500. The circular walls, some of which are made of stone, enclose an irregular oval. At a height of 3 m, small shooting niches open up at regular intervals, which were served from the covered walkway. Its insertion holes in the supporting beams can still be seen. To the south-west is a gate tower with a portcullis and to the south of the gate tower is a bastion. The bastion has three floors with loopholes. A kennel was built to the south of the fortified church. Through it one could get into the vicarage, in the north wall of which a Gothic door frame still documents this connection.


1300-1400 Construction of a Gothic hall church made of stone with a choir closed on three sides.
1305 The village is mentioned for the first time. Comes Gregor, his brothers Jakob and Gregor divide various goods in Transylvania among themselves, including Ighişu Nou ("Isontelke"). The document shows that the place is subject and owned by a nobleman from the Apafi family.
1359 From a judgment it can be concluded that this year Ighişu Nou is a free municipality of the Medias see.
1400-1500 A defensive storey with loopholes is set up above the chancel. The west portal is provided with a portcullis. The defensive walls also show style elements typical of the time.
1516 Ighişu Nou ("Ybesdorf") is part of the Medias chair. 61 families, 6 widows, 4 shepherds, a miller and a schoolmaster live in the village.
1520 A bastion is built south of the gate tower.
1550-1600 A massive stone bell tower with a vaulted tower floor is erected over the western part of the church hall.
1689 28 houses burn down in the village.

Places in the surroundings