Fortified Church Filitelnic

Fortified Church Filitelnic in Filitelnic
Fortified Church Filitelnic in Filitelnic
Fortified Church Filitelnic in Filitelnic
Fortified Church Filitelnic in Filitelnic
Fortified Church Filitelnic in Filitelnic
Fortified Church Filitelnic in Filitelnic

Baptismal font

There is a stone baptismal font from the late Middle Ages with a wooden lid from 1780. This object from the 15th century is still present in the church and gives us an impression of the former magnificent interior. (The matching wooden lid from 1780, with wonderful carving was unfortunately stolen).


The organ with mechanical action was built in 1875 by the brothers Samuel and Friederich Binder from Sighisoara. After the ceiling collapse in 1975, an emergency church was set up in the rectory. The Binder organ and other inventory parts were moved to the adjacent rectory at that time and rebuilt there. In 2003, the rectory was broken into and some parts were unfortunately vandalized and turned over. The remaining inventory parts, by a later tenant in the rectory, sold or burned.


The small bell is pre-Reformation and dates from 1496. The inscription reads INRI 1496, followed by minuscules from the alphabet, in mirror-inverted pure order. According to folklore, the villagers brought the bell from Agrișteu, where they are said to have lived in the past. There is also a large bell from 1926. The bell from 1496 are today in the Orthodox church of the village. The bell from 1926 (large bell) still hangs in the church tower, which can be visited and rung again via a reconstructed high entrance.


The church is surrounded by a relatively well-preserved curtain wall, which was once reinforced by two towers. The gate tower in the south and a tower (foundation remains available) on the north side of the church. The gate tower bears the date 1653 and now shows again, wonderful exposed Renaissance painting, on its front. (performed work restoration team: Mr. Kiss Lòránd / Imago Picta SRL)


In the reconstructed, renovated gate bastion is now a local history museum, which was established through the support of the Teleki Foundation. At exhibition stands in three languages and exhibits from the village they can learn more about the village and its history. Also, if you go up the stairs to the tower and the museum, you will stand on the spot where the present King Charles III of England stood.


According to the chronicle, the former Lutheran rectory dates back to 1647 and was built under the reverend Martini Kayser. It once even served as a wine tavern and, of course, as the home of the pastor with his family. In 1976, after earth movements had severely damaged the church, an emergency church was set up here, which unfortunately was broken into in 2003 and much was wantonly destroyed and turned over. After the last Saxons in the village also emigrated, the few remaining inventory was moved out. For some years now, a team of voluntary helpers led by Pastor Bernd Eimterbäumler from Halle in Westphalia, in cooperation with the Arcus Association and Georg Fritsch from Austria (initiator of the Felldorf Phoenix Project), has also taken on the dilapidated vicarage in order to renovate it again and develop it as a "starting point for further helpers on the cultural heritage".


The altar with two columns rises above a brick substructure. Above is the organ. In the center of the altar is a crucifix. Unfortunately, the altar is no longer in the church, but was damaged by vandalism and parts stolen.


1347 Felldorf was first mentioned in a document under the name "possessio Fyleteluke".
1400-1500 Construction of a Gothic hall church with a bell tower.
1580 The Transylvanian chancellor Wolfgang Kovachoczy and his brother Johann are granted property in Felldorf. The noble owners in Felldorf assure the serfs the right to inherit vineyards and Neurodeland.
1580-1655 The ring wall, reinforced by two towers, is built.
1751 Several communities in the region are suing their landlords, who had begun to disregard the traditional freedoms of the subjects.
1769 The free position of the villages is restricted by a decree of Empress Maria Theresia, the so-called "Certa puncta".
1787 The bell tower gets a new roof. Documents are placed in the tower button.
1850-1880 The community succeeds in acquiring the entire allodial property of the former manorial estate through purchase.
1886 On occasion of the general church visitation, the congregation complained to Bishop Teutsch about their pastor, who was eventually removed from office.
1926 A large bell is donated by expatriate residents of Felldorf from the United States.
1980 Since that year, the service in the church could no longer take place due to major damage and had to be held in the adjacent rectory. Since that time, the fortified church deteriorated more and more.
2019 Prince Charles comes to Filitelnic to honor the local initiatives of the Arcus Association (Kiss Lòrànd and team), the Phoenix Project (Mr. Georg Fritsch) and the Ambulanta pentru Monumete (Mr. Eugen Vaida) for their commitment to the renovation of the fortified church.
2021 During excavations at the church bones are found under the present church. Floor plans of a choir are discovered, which suggest that there was a church on this site as early as the 13th or 12th century.

Places in the surroundings