Fortified church Cincu

Fortified church Cincu in Cincu
Fortified church Cincu in Cincu
Fortified church Cincu in Cincu
Fortified church Cincu in Cincu
Fortified church Cincu in Cincu
Fortified church Cincu in Cincu


The center image depicts the unbelieving Thomas, to whom Jesus shows his side wound. The apostle Thomas kneels to the right of Jesus. The two main figures are surrounded by the rest of the disciples. In the background is a portal arch through which the view falls on a mountain landscape. A Latin inscription testifies that the altar was painted by Vincentius in 1521.


Four epitaphs hang in the church: from 1708 for priest Johann Kisch, from 1739 for priest Petrus Hermann, from 1736 for Martin Sutoris and from 1745 for the royal judge Georg Salmen.


The present organ is a work of the Rieger company from Krnov, Czech Republic. It was installed in 1905 and has two manuals, pedal and 9+7+6 stops.


The pulpit with Renaissance profiling has six panels. The carving shows the following themes: lamb with cross and snake, pelican with young, vine with a thrush, dolphin whose tail ends in a flower and floral ornaments. A dove hangs under the pulpit canopy. The years 1649 and 1758 can be read on the pulpit.

Sacrament Niche

A late Gothic sacrament niche is built into the north wall of the chancel. Between two pillars ending in pinnacles with finials is the rectangular niche. Can you find the fish bubbles and lily blossoms?

Ring wall

The church once had two defense rings and was strongly fortified, but today much of it has been eroded. However, parts of the first southern wall ring and the eastern one behind the choir still exist today. On the right side in front of the church entrance you can still see the old school.


The big bell, cast in 1512, was recast in 1754. It melted during the fire in 1789 and was restored from the remains of three bells.


1200 - 1250 Construction of the church in cincu, a Romanesque three-nave pillar basilica with a west tower and two east towers.
1329 First documented mention of the place.
1374 The Seven Chairs ask the king for permission to issue a severe sentence against the people of Cincu and the neighbor village Movile because they devastated the village of Merghiendal
1474 Cincu is mentioned for the first time market ("oppidum") The fortified church is mentioned, for the defense of which half of the town's army is assigned.
1499 An indulgence is obtained for the Church of the Virgin Mary in Cincu.
1500 There are 64 landlords and 4 poor people living in Cincu. In the village there is a school, a mill and four deserted farms.
1500 Around 1500 the church was rebuilt. The choir is rebuilt on the old foundation walls with a polygonal floor plan. Buttresses are attached to the choir walls, which are connected under the new defense floor by round arch segments, behind which cast holes are created. A Latin inscription is placed on the inside of the north wall.
1544 The church becomes lutheran. The Reformation also affected the surrounding villages.
1695 As a result of the civil war, there are 45 abandoned and 5 burnt farms in Cincu.
1708 Kurucs devastate the town, including the church and fortified church.
1769 Because of the decrease in forests, it is decreed that brick and stone houses are to be built.
1789 The tower roof, three bells and the tower clock are destroyed by a major fire. The church roof is damaged but can be preserved.

Places in the surroundings