Fortified Church Boian

Fortified Church Boian in Boian
Fortified Church Boian in Boian
Fortified Church Boian in Boian
Fortified Church Boian in Boian
Fortified Church Boian in Boian
Fortified Church Boian in Boian


Today the church has a baroque altar from 1772. The predella depicts the birth of Christ. The main image, a crucifixion, is flanked by two Corinthian columns each, to the right and left of which a Baroque medallion : Moses on the left and Christ on the right. In the upper register of the altar is depicted a resurrection of Christ, also flanked by columns, above which is a sculpture of the Risen Christ cut from wood. The altar bears the inscription "Pinxit Steph. Adolf Valepagi pictor Mediensis 1772 fecit Michael Czelman artif. scrinarius anno 1772". The old altar of the Boian church is now in the Brukenthal Museum. It is a winged altar with relief paintings from the end of the 14th century.


In the choir of the church there is a reading desk dated 1783, decorated with floral motifs. In front of the reading desk is a bench with the inscription 1690.


There are two pulpits, both of which are used. A stone pulpit in the shape of a chalice is attached to the central pillar of the south wall. It has a wooden balustrade from the 18th century. The new 20th-century pulpit is below the triumphal arch. Above this pulpit is a baroque pulpit crown with an inscription from 1792.

Baptismal font

The goblet-shaped stone baptismal font consists of two parts. It is covered by a baroque-style wooden lid - dated 1791.

Offerings box

Near the north entrance there is a delicate offering box from 1791.


In 1942, the Wegenstein company from Timisoara built an organ with 6 registers.


On the north wall of the choir there are preserved remains of wall paintings. Thematically and formally, they are reminiscent of the frescoes from the second half of the 15th century in the city parish church in Medias.


In the choir there is a 4 m high late Gothic tabernacle, which was made around 1500. On the projecting foot there is first a register with openwork tracery pointed arches with trefoil motifs. Above it is a tendril, above which the sacrament house rises. The side walls are decorated with exposed late Gothic profiles. The four corners of the tabernacle are crowned by pinnacles, between which rises the six-part spire, the edges of which are decorated with crabs and ending in a finial.


The two portals in the north and south walls have a late Gothic profile, consisting of a rectangle and round bars, a keel-shaped end with penetrating bars and a rosette each. The west portal has a simpler profile and is closed by a pointed arch. Above the north portal is the emblem of Moldova: an ox's head with a star between its horns, and next to it the moon and the sun.


At the end of the 15th century, the 6 m high ring wall was built. The well preserved irregularly polygonal enclosing wall with exterior buttresses surrounds the church. A gate tower with a wooden wall-walk and a pyramidal roof stands in the north, set before the curtain wall. The coat of arms of Stephen the Great, the ox head with the star, the moon and the sun, is mounted on this tower and in the church.


1309 First mention of the village. In the tithing process between the Alba Iulia chapter and several Saxon deaneries, Pastor Theodorich of Boian ("villa Boneti") is mentioned.
1402 This year is said to have stood above the triumphal arch next to the years 1506, 1766, 1825 and 1882.
1447 The village is awarded to Count Nikolaus von Salzburg.
1450-1510 Main phase of the construction of the fortified church.
1452 Through an exchange, the village that belonged to Nikolaus von Salzburg came into the possession of the nobleman Georg von Ludbregh.
1462 King Matthew grants the feudal domain of the County of Târnava Mare, i.e. Boian, to the Moldavian prince Stephen the Great.
1506 The church is extended with a defensive structure. Above the chancel, a defensive storey was erected, the wall of which was supported by buttresses or rested on brackets.
1518 The church hall receives a new clay rib vault in a late Gothic network shape.
1796 Major fire in the community. Only the Church is spared.

Places in the surroundings