Fortified Church Şaroş pe Târnave

Fortified Church Şaroş pe Târnave in Şaroş pe Târnave
Fortified Church Şaroş pe Târnave in Şaroş pe Târnave
Fortified Church Şaroş pe Târnave in Şaroş pe Târnave
Fortified Church Şaroş pe Târnave in Şaroş pe Târnave
Fortified Church Şaroş pe Târnave in Şaroş pe Târnave
Fortified Church Şaroş pe Târnave in Şaroş pe Târnave

Baroque altar

The baroque altar was erected in 1774. In the lower part there is a wooden sacrament box. In the center is a wood-carved crucifix, behind it is a painted landscape. An inscription says that the altar was made by Johann Folbarth from Sighisoara. The central image is flanked by wooden sculptures - Moses and Aaron. In the upper register there is an eye of God depiction flanked by two angels with paten and chalice. The altar has both Baroque and Rococo style features.


The baroque organ is a work of the sons Mätz. It was installed in 1842 and has 14 stops.


At the beginning of the 15th century, the choir receives a stone ribbed vault, supported by cylindrical half-columns. The Gothic windows of the choir have tracery decoration with heart, fish-bubble and quatrefoil shapes. The keystones of the choir show a human antlers and two five-petaled roses.


The church is surrounded by a circular wall with the ground plan of an irregular polygon. The ring wall is reinforced by two towers and three bastions with rectangular ground plan. The 8-10 m high curtain wall has cast holes and embrasures in the upper part. From the battlements only the holes of the supporting beams in the walk-wall have been preserved. The entrance to the castle is protected by a two-story gate tower, which used to have a portcullis. Above the gate entrance there are three bretèches (balcony with machicolations) . In the north there is a tower, half of which protrudes from the wall. There are embrasures in the three floors of the tower. The outer walls of the tower are decorated with black-red-white painting.


The remains of a chapel can be found in the fortified church wall. The Romanesque chapel probably dates from around 1280. On the southern wall of the chapel, the two shield arches of a cross vault are visible. In the eastern corner there is a sacrament niche and in the middle of the wall there is a narrow lancet window.


1283 First documentary mention of the village. The bishop of Alba Iulia confirms that he has ceded three tithes to the parish priests belonging to Medias. Among them is also mentioned "Henricus de Sarus".
1300-1350 Construction of a three-nave towerless Gothic basilica.
1400-1450 The church is rebuilt after destruction. The choir receives a stone ribbed vault supported by cylindrical half-columns.
1422 An inscription in the sacristy testifies that in this year the church was consecrated by a papal envoy from Rome.
1454 In the dispute between the Counts of Ațel and the Saxons of Ațel and Șaroș, the communes succeed in rejecting the Counts' claims.
1502 Pleban Peter of Şaroş asks the Pope for permission to acquire relics from the Church of St. Anastasius in Rome for the Church of St. Helen in Şaroş.
1510 The bell tower in front of the west front of the church was built.
1532 Şaroş pe Târnave is a free village where 121 families live.
1605 Szekler troops from Prince Bocskai's entourage devastate the fortified church.
1649 Date on the south wall of the church indicating renovation.
1760 The church is also used as a storage room.
1807 Renewal of the tower ball, on which occasion certificates and coins are inserted.

Places in the surroundings