Evangelical Church Râșnov

Evangelical Church Râșnov in Râșnov
Evangelical Church Râșnov in Râșnov
Evangelical Church Râșnov in Râșnov
Evangelical Church Râșnov in Râșnov
Evangelical Church Râșnov in Râșnov
Evangelical Church Râșnov in Râșnov


There is an altar wall with lateral passages in the choir from 1776, displaying a lower register with a predella in the middle with an image of the Lord’s Supper, modelled on Leonardo da Vinci; further up, are four Corinthian columns with a crucifix in the middle. In the two side alcoves with oyster calotte stand the statues of Saint Peter and of Saint Paul and the crowning is the Eye of God with aureole.


The pulpit has a brick chair and stucco decorations from 1826/27. The pulpit cover is dated 1680.


An organ from 1680 is replaced in 1781 by an organ by Johannes Prause. It has a late baroque case. The organ has two manuals, pedal and 22 registers.


Remains of frescoes from around 1500 have been preserved on the north wall of the chancel.


The ribs rest on corbels and end in capstones with reliefs depicting flowers, chalices, crowns and stars.

Ring wall

The church used to have a polygonal wall. In 1831-1833, parts of the circular wall were demolished in order to build the new town hall.


1200-1300 Construction of a Romanesque basilica, of which the triumphal arch remains.
1331 Râșnov was first mentioned in a document in connection with the return of the Black Castle (a castle on the mountain near Codlea).
1377 Râșnov forms with the 12 other free communities of the Brasov Region a judicial and administrative unit with Brasov.
1394 The church dedicated to the apostle Matthias is mentioned for the first time.
1413 A hospital for lepers is mentioned in a document.
1427 King Sigismund and the Queen are staying in Râșnov. The king granted the right to hold a weekly market every Wednesday.
1437 Vlad II Dracul, voivode of Wallachia, grants trading privileges to residents of Kronstadt district. Among others, two judges travel from Râșnov to Tîrgovişte as negotiators.
1456 The Râșnov judge took part in a Brasov delegation that concluded an anti-Turkish agreement with the Wallachian prince Vlad Ţepeş.
1510 In Râșnov live 140 families, 24 widows, 10 poor, 4 servants, 14 shepherds, 8 widows of poor people, a Romanian clergyman and a Romanian noble. In the village are 9 deserted houses, a school house and a bell ringer's house.
1523 The expelled Wallachian prince Radu de la Afumaţi is granted refuge in Râșnov.
1530 The widow and daughter of the Wallachian prince Neagoe Basarab find refuge in Râșnov.
1544 There is a powder maker in Râșnov.
1585 Large parts of the place are destroyed by fire. Sigismund Báthori donated 500 guilders for the reconstruction.
1600-03 Soldiers from the army of Michael the Brave plunder the place. The preacher Paul and his son are cut to pieces.
1603 Basta's troops move into winter quarters in Ghimbav, Cristian and Râșnov and cause great damage. The battle between Prince Radu Şerban and the Transylvanian Prince Moses Székely takes place near Râșnov.
1611 Prince Gabriel Báthori's troops burn down Râșnov and other Brasov region communities. The castle was occupied by Gabriel Báthori and only returned to the Saxons in 1613 together with the Bran castle after paying 3000 guilders.
1621 There is a glassworks in Râșnov.
1623 The church burns down.
1658 Râșnov has to buy himself free from the Turks and after payment it is cremated anyway.
1704-1707 Râșnov suffered a lot from the kurucs.
1773-1775 The church wall is raised, the windows are remodeled and the bell tower is raised by one floor.
1802 Earthquake damage to vicarage and castle.
1831-1833 Parts of the ring wall were removed in order to be able to build the new town hall.

Places in the surroundings