Churchcastle in Apold

Churchcastle in Apold in Apold
Churchcastle in Apold in Apold
Churchcastle in Apold in Apold
Churchcastle in Apold in Apold
Churchcastle in Apold in Apold
Churchcastle in Apold in Apold


The present altar was built in 1821 by Johann Theiss. It is in the classicist style and partially gilded. The main figure shows Jesus Christ on the cross. The figures on the left and right are Peter and Paul.


The pulpit is made from stone and was built in 1764. It is in baroque architecture.

Church organ

The organ in the church was built in 1821 by Johann Theiß. It has 18 registers and 2 manuals.


The major bell was cast pre-reformation. It has a Latin inscription. The minor bell was cast in 1554 and has a Latin inscription as well.


The galleries north and south to the middleship show paintings of various bible scenes. They are dated to 1702.

Chest benches

The church still has some chest benches which were used to store anything important ranging from food for sunday, to costumes. They were used to protect these things from vagabonds and armies.


The inner bailey of the churchcastle was likely constructed before 1500. Further fortifications were done later in the early 16th century. The bell tower was fortified to a donjon, and another bailey with three more towers were added. However there are also two so called "Fruchthäuser" in the north connected to the baileys, which could each act as a fort on their own. There used to be weir walks on both baileys too.


1200-1300 Construction of the original romanesque church.
1309 First mention of the village.
1400-1500 The church is rebuilt in gothic manner.
1500 There are 89 families and 4 shepherds living in the village.
1500-1550 Fortification of the church.
1532 There are 95 families living in the village now.
1658 Ottoman troops rest in the village.
1663 Ottoman janissaries stay for 11 weeks in the village.
1671 Because of the hardships of war, there are only 84 families and 34 widows left in the village.
1689 The village has to go into large debt, to pay the Austrian crown for "freeing" them.
1694 There was a fire in the village. Therefore it has to pay less tax than usual.
1797 A large fire has devastated the village. Only the church and a handful of houses remain.
1872 Another large-fire plagues the village.
1898 The construction of a narrow-gauge railway from Sighisoara to Agnita is completed.

Places in the surroundings