Fortified Church Criț

Bell tower

The neoclassical bell tower is built into the western front at the same time as the church. In it hang three steel bells from the 20th century.

Altar

A new altar is made in 1822. It has classical style elements. The center is a crucifix flanked by wooden columns, above which is the eye of God. Wooden figures of the apostles Peter and Paul are placed on the sides of the altar. The pulpit (1822), the organ case and the baptismal font (1822) are made in the same style.

Organ

The present organ is a work of Johann Thois from Râșnov. It was built in 1822 and forms a unit with the altar. It has two manuals, pedal and 20 stops.

Ring wall

The ring wall has an oval ground plan and adapts to the relief shape of the mountain slope. The height of the wall varies between 7 and 8 meters. In the upper part there are loopholes and cast holes. The wall is reinforced by 5 towers. In the south there is a gate tower. The towers are two to three stories high, some have pyramidal roofs, some have monopitch roofs and are equipped with embrasures and casting holes. On the north side of the ring wall, in the 16th century, a kennel is added. In the south, a third ward with a low wall is built.

History

1322 King Karl also mentions "Cruz" among the possessions of the Cărța Abbey.
1418 The subjects from Viscri, Cloașterf and Meșendorf refuse to pay the taxes due to the monastery in Cârța. The king instructs the dean of the Sibiu chapter and the king's judge of Sibiu to summon twelve jurors from the community and have them pay the taxes to the monastery.
1419 The king forbids the abbot of Cârța to demand unfair taxes from the villages of Criț, Cloașterf and Meșendorf.
1448 The residents of Viscri, Cloașterf and Meșendorf brought proceedings against Abbot Johannes Bornequel from Cârța.
1474 King Matthias orders the dissolution of the Cârța Abbey. From now on, the administration of Deutschkreuz will be taken over by the Hermannstadt magistrate.
1500 Criț is a village of the Sighisoara chair, where 60 families, a school rector, 4 shepherds and 3 poor people live. There is a mill in the village.
1509 The municipality receives gunpowder at the expense of the Sibiu province.
1551 Criț receives from the Sibiu Provincial Treasury an aid of 5 guldens for construction works.
1646 There is a three-village court in the three villages of Criț, Cloașterf and Meșendorf.
1663 Criț is plundered by the troops of the Moldovan prince.
1678 77 people die from the plague.
1699 An organist lived in the village.
1699-1701 Witch trials.
1700-1760 In Criț was a settlement of the Hutterites.
1810 The old church will be demolished.
1810-1813 Construction of the new church.
1925 The south tower collapses.
1955 The northeast tower collapses. It was rebuilt in its old form in 1957.