Fortified Church Curciu

West portal

The west portal is built into a risalit. The frieze is formed by a continuous garland emerging from the mouth of two animal figures. The outer pointed arch profile of the portal is decorated by attached crabs and finials. On the side of the portal there are two piers with pinnacles, and on the outside there is a console with a canopy, on which there used to be figures of saints.

Seating niche

In the south wall of the chancel there is a seating niche 4 m high and 2 m wide. The sedilia is divided in two by a column, above which two cloverleaf arches arch over the respective seat. Above it, a tracery triangle is added, which ends in a finial.

Bell tower

The bell tower has a cross-vaulted vestibule with ogival openings to the church on three sides. In the belfry there are twin Gothic windows facing all directions.

Altar

In the center of the neoclassical altar from the 19th century is an image of the Ascension. Wooden sculptures from an older altar have been preserved in the sacristy.

Pulpit, pews, baptismal font

The pulpit and stalls have classical features. Parts of an older baptismal font have been incorporated into today's wooden baptismal font.

Organ

The organ is built in 1844 by Samuel Mätz. It has manual and 9 stops.

Bells

Three old bells hang in the church tower. The large bell has an illegible inscription from which the year 1310 can be read. The middle bell bears the inscription "Benedicimus Deum in Secula S. R. 1536". The small bell is dated 1572.

Defenses

The church is surrounded by an oval ring that adapts to the ground conditions. The wall is supported by 20 buttresses from the outside. In the southeast there is the gate tower with barrel vault on the ground floor and sliding channels of a portcullisBiserica este înconjurată de un inel oval care se adaptează la condițiile de teren. Zidul este susținut din exterior de 20 de contraforturi. În partea de sud-est se află turnul porții, cu boltă în formă de butoi la parter și canale glisante ale unei sasuri.

Chapel

To the east of the church, inserted into the circular wall, there is a late Gothic chapel. It has two floors. The lower one served as an ossuary. Remains of wall paintings can be found on the upper floor. The door to the chapel has a corbelled arch.

History

1322 First documented mention of the village a "Petrus de Keureus" is mentioned as a witness.
1331 The Counts Nicholas and Martin claim ownership of Curciu and object to the fact that the Saxons of Medias have usurped the place. From this it can be seen that the village was originally noble soil, but was then united with the free villages of the Two Chairs
1366 The Saxons of Bagaciu and Curciu break into the house of the nobleman Thomas of Kend and kill him because he demanded bridge toll at a bridge over the Tarnava mica.
1430 The family of the counts of Ațel claim the position of judge in Curciu. On the basis of documents, the hereditary judgeship is assigned to the Ațel family by the voivod's court.
1516 Curciu is a free village of the Mediash chair, where 59 families, 3 widows, 2 shepherds and a schoolmaster live.
1784 The village is indebted to the Heydendorff family in Mediaș and pays interest.
1870 Founding of the "Forward Progress Society".
1879 A Romanian becomes a judge in the village.