Fortified church Șoarș

Baroque altar and pulpit

The baroque altar is a work by the Sibiu painter Martin Stock and is dated 1745. The central picture is flanked by a column and a pilaster. The altar is crowned by wooden vases and a depiction of the Eye of God. The baroque pulpit is also from 1745, the parapet is painted with pictures of the four evangelists.

Organ

In 1912 a new organ was purchased by Karl Einschenk (Brasov). It has two manuals and 14 registers.

Bells

In the tower hang a large bell cast in 1937, two middle bells from 1922 and a little bell from 1777 with the inscription: "to the honor of god and use of the evangelical community in hanebach verfertiget anno 1777".

Defenses

The circular wall surrounding the church has the shape of an irregular polygon, which suggests it was built in the 15th century. Old representations show a tower-like, fortified entrance, a round tower to the north-east, a square tower with a gable roof and three towers covered with pyramid roofs to the north. Around 1900 the fortified church was largely demolished.

Bell tower

The bell tower was added west of the church hall in the second half of the 15th century. There is a Gothic west portal on the ground floor. The wall, stepped four times, is structured by pear rods, round rods and coves. The interior is decorated with a ribbed vault. The ribs rest on Gothic corbels. Gothic tracery windows are installed on the first floor. In the course of the defense at the beginning of the 16th century, the bell tower was given a battlement.

History

1206 First mention of the village. In the deed of gift of Andreas II, in which he gives the neighbouring village to Johannes Latinus, Șoarș is mentioned as a border point.
1389 A treaty between the nobles of Retis and Selistat stipulates that Șoarș is a free commune of Scaunului Cincu.
1449 From a document of indulgence it appears that the church was dedicated to St. Jacob and the village belonged to the Archdiocese of Gran.
1450 Construction of the Gothic hall church, consisting of a hall and polygonal closed choir. The chancel and the hall have the same width, which suggests that originally there was a Romanesque basilica here.
1507 The church is rebuilt as a fortified church. The buttresses were connected with arches and above them was built a defensive storey with pitch and embrasures.
1532 Șoarș is a community in Schenker Stuhl where 60 families live.
1635 The Cincu King's judge forces the village to purchase a Bible. A Luther Bible printed by Hans Lufft in Wittenberg in 1541 is purchased for 8 gulden and 43 kreuzer.
1900 Most of the defenses are demolished.