Fortified Church Agnita

Baroque altar

The 1650-installed two-leaf triptych, on the one hand, takes over the tradition of pre-Reformation altars and, on the other hand, it is to be assigned stylistically to the Baroque. When closed, the altar displays scenes from The Passion and, when open, it shows representations of Pontius Pilate washing his hands, of the Preparation of the Crucifixion, of the Deposition of Christ and of the Resurrection of Jesus.

Bells

A pre-Reformation bell from 1509 is used as a funeral bell. The other bells date from the early 20th century.

Organ

The organ is built by Karl Schneider from Brasov. It has 25 stops, 2 manuals and pedal.

Sacramental niche

In the north wall of the choir there is a sacramental niche. It is decorated with Gothic architectural sculpture consisting of a trefoil with ogee arch and finial flanked by pinnacles

Towers

Today, four towers are still preserved: a gate tower, the blacksmith's tower, the tailor's tower and the shoemaker's tower.

History

1200-1250 Construction of a Romanesque three-aisled basilica with a tower, which forms the core of the current complex.
1318 The pastor Hermann from Agnita ("de valle sanctae Agnetis") is elected pastor in Sibiu.
1376 King Ludwig grants Agnita ("Zenthagotha") the right to a fair.
1466 King Matthias grants Agnita the blood jurisdiction, the "jus gladii", and allows them to hold back half of the citizens to defend the castle if there is a general levy. The place is called oppidum (market town) on this occasion.
1488 187 families, 10 nuns, a schoolmaster, nine shepherds and two market servants live in "Agnetental".
1496 Agnita is occupied by troops of the Transylvanian voivode.
1500-1525 Conversion of the older church into a Gothic hall church. Choir and hall are covered with a late Gothic net vault.
1532 Only 135 families still live in Agnita.
1707 Imperial Soldiers loot and deal great damage in Agnita.
1867 The storage rooms in the fortified church are demolished.
1898 The railway line Sighișoara-Agnita is opened.
2022 The fortified church reopens after a major renovation.