Fortified church Veseud

Organ

In 1730 an organ builder was paid 55 guilders. In 1794 and 1800 the organ builder Hahn received sums of money for organ building. The instrument has 7 registers and a manual.

Baptismal font

A wooden baptismal font, which also serves as a lectern, was installed in 1842.

Bells

In the bell tower hang three valuable bells. The large one, with the minuscule inscription "O rex glorie veni cum pace" (O king, come with glory and peace) , was cast in the 15th century. The middle bell is dated 1573 and bears the inscription "Soli Deo Gloria G. R."(Glory to God alone). The small bell has the inscription "Anno 1725. Camp, haec exist. Past. Georg Arosi (?) Balthes restaurata est".

Towers and wall

Friedrich Müller reports in 1857 about the church castle of Veseud: "The ring wall stares here as it were from towers of different construction: two round and two rectangular ones with circulation belong to the wall itself". In the second half of the 19th century, the ring wall and the towers were demolished, with the exception of the gate tower and a 20 m long and 5 m high section of wall on the south side.

Late gothic chairs

In the choir late Gothic chairs are preserved. It has the notch cut characteristic for the time around 1500.

Baroque altar

The baroque altar, dated 1742, has the crucified Christ with Mary and John as the central image. In a medallion above, the Risen One is depicted with a victory banner. The central panel is flanked by a spiral column and two pilasters crowned by a cornice with a classical profile, above which are two figures of angels. Wooden sculptures of Peter and Paul are placed to the right and left of the pilasters.

History

1200-1300 Construction of a towerless Romanesque arcaded basilica with rectangular stone arcade piers. Of this church, the choir square, the perimeter wall and the pillars are preserved.
1337 First documentary mention of the village. Parish priest Jakobbus de Wozzodya pays papal tax.
1494 The parish receives a financial support from the treasury of the Sibiu Province for the extension of the church.
1500 Veseud is a village of the Cincu chair, where 17 families and 6 shepherds live. In the village four farms are deserted.
1500 The church is fortified with a wall belt and fortification towers. On the west side of the fortified church, a gate tower with a barrel-vaulted entrance is built.
1506 Veseud receives from the treasury of the Province of Sibiu hacking rifles and two hand rifles, as well as gunpowder for the church castle.
1707 The church is occupied and plundered by imperial troops.
1773 Emperor Joseph II stays briefly in Veseud. It is reported that 277 Protestant Christians live in the village.
1783 Repairing the bell tower. The evangelical parish has 301 souls. The Romanian community has 113 souls.
1784-1785 The church is expanded. The church interior receives a barrel vault with lancets on belt arches, resting on rectangular pillars with pilasters and classical cornice. The choir receives a groined vault. The windows are enlarged.