Fortified Church Chirpăr

Altar

In 1795 a baroque altar, later supplemented with classical elements, was erected. It is the work of Johann Folbarth from Sighișoara. A crucifix stands in the center of the altar, flanked by wooden sculptures depicting Peter and Paul.

Organ

Today's organ dates from 1778 and is the work of Johannes Hahn. It has manual, pedal and 10 registers. The prospectus has baroque characteristics.

Bells

The large and medium bells were cast in Sibiu in 1922 and 1925 respectively. The small bell with a Latin inscription dates from 1630.

Bell tower

The Romanesque bell tower with a rectangular ground plan forms a church vestibule on the ground floor, which opens on all four sides with round arches and is covered with a cross vault. Staircases lead to the fourth floor, in which a Romanesque arched window has been preserved. The 34 meter high tower was rebuilt in the late Gothic style around 1500 to increase the church's defensive capacity. During this time the bell tower is converted into a donjon.

Fortification wall

The rectangular ring with an external building in the north may have been built in the second half of the 15th century and the first quarter of the 16th century.

History

1200 - 1300 Construction of a Romanesque three-aisled pillar basilica with a western tower, dedicated to the Holy Virgin.
1332-1335 The place appears for the first time in papal tax lists under the name "Kyrchperch".
1500 Chipăr is a free municipality of the Nochrich chair, in which 44 families live.
1500 A late Gothic reconstruction takes place, the purpose of which is to increase the fortification of the church.
1523 The chaplain Peter of Chirpăr is excommunicated by a clerical court in Sibiu as a follower of Lutheran doctrine.
1532 57 families live in the community.
1547 The Seven Chairs grant the burned village a subsidy of 32 guilders for the construction of the defensive works.
1642 Great conflagration destroying 65 houses. 7 people die and many cattle perish.
1665 A Kirchberg municipal account records expenditures that the municipality had to make in order to buy its way out of Turkish billeting and to equip soldiers.
1695 The village has 78 family fathers, 30 widows, 25 uninhabited and 2 burned houses
1707 The place is burned down by Kurucs
1786 The Romanians from Vărd and Chirpăr complained to the Viennese court that the Saxons were discriminating against them when dividing up the communal land. It is decreed from Vienna that all inhabitants of Transylvania are to be treated equally.
1815 Pastor Daniel Josef Gottschling makes a watercolor ink drawing of the congregation. It can be seen that most of the houses are thatched and that the village is surrounded by a plaited fence.
1823 The emperor gives the community the right to hold a fair twice a year.