Fortified Church Vurpăr

Baroque altar

The baroque altar dates from 1776. The main picture, the crucified one, was painted by Carl Dörschlag. A figure of Peter and a figure of Paul are preserved from the previous altar from the 17th century.

Organ

A faulty organ was built by Emanuel Hradek (Sibiu) in 1861, which was completely rebuilt in 1872 by Wilhelm Hörbiger. It has 14 registers.

Clock

A wooden tower clock was purchased in 1763, made by the Austrian émigré Paul Bauer. It is replaced with a newer one in 1898.

Fortifications

The church is surrounded by an oval, stone curtain wall. In 1720 the community received support in fortifying the church. A gate tower has been included in the castle keeper's apartment.

Bas relief

The tympanum of the north portal shows a bas-relief. It is a depiction of the tree of life flanked by a lion and a mythical creature with the head and forefeet of a cat and the body of a fish.

History

1200 - 1250 A short, towerless Romanesque basilica with a choir square, semicircular apse and apsidioles is built. Three pairs of square pillars, connected by semicircular arches, separate the nave from the side aisles, which are cross-vaulted, while the nave has a flat wooden ceiling.
1296 First documented mention under the name "villa Heoholm". The people of Vurpăr buy a mountain height with adjoining fields and forest area from nobles from the neighboohrvillage, which is gone today. On the hill has been a castle which parts of can still be seen today and is 6km in the northwest of the village.
1308 Count Nikolaus Blavus of Vurpăr pays homage to King Otto as a representative of the Seven Chairs. Soon after, he is mentioned as the king's judge of Sibiu.
1317 Count Nikolaus Blavus of Vurpăr, as representative of the Seven Chairs, obtains confirmation of the Golden Charter of the Transylvanian Saxons (Andreanums).
1578 Johann Gerendi tries in vain to regain his former possessions. The Vurpăr people can prove that a legal sale has taken place. With that, the counts disappear from the history of Vurpăr.
1620 Church tower collapses during earthquake. Today's rectangular tower was built around 1750.
1695 There are 14 desert farms in the village.
1707 Imperial troops drive the cattle away from the Vurpăr people.
1849 Cossacks, imperial and Hungarian troops stayed in the village from time to time.
1888 In the village there is an average of one horse for every evangelical soul.