Cistercian Monastery Cârţa

The west portal

The west portal has a capital frieze with foliage decoration. The four-fold stepped robe has pear, octagonal and round bar profiles between coves, in which remains of wall painting are preserved. Above the portal gable is a large wheel window whose tracery has disappeared.

The altar

An altar from the 18th century, restored in 1751, stands on a stone table from the second half of the 13th century. The burial, the Last Supper and the birth of Jesus are depicted in the predella. The central image is a Crucifixion flanked by sculptures depicting Peter and Paul between two pillars. Two angel figures stand on the architrave, between them a painting: Christ in Gethsemane, above a wooden sculpture of the Risen One. Baroque veil boards complete the overall picture.

The Abbey Buildings

South of the church are the ruins of the 13th-century abbey building. The wall facing the courtyard from the eastern wing of the monastery has been preserved. On the walls of the east wing there are remains of ribbed vaults, consoles, windows and pilaster strips that divide the wall. In the second half of the 15th century until 1506, repair work is carried out on the monastery buildings. There was an enclosing wall around the monastery and the church, but no remains have been preserved.

History

1200 - 1300 Construction of a three-aisled towerless basilica in the Cistercian Gothic style with a central nave, low side aisles, transept and choir.
1202 The monastery is founded from a Cistercian abbey from Banat
1223 The clergyman Magister Gocelinus donates the mountain of St. Michael together with the church and the village of Cisnădioara south of Sibiu to the Cârţa monastery. The donation is confirmed by King Andreas II. This is the first written mention of Cârţa.
1241 The monastery is destroyed by the Mongols.
1343 The Archbishop of Esztergom, near Budapest, takes the monastery of Cârța under his special protection, on the basis of a papal mandate. He claims that the monastery has been completely destroyed by "schismatic Romanians" and stripped of its possessions.
1356 13 monks live in Cârţa
1398 King and later Emperor Sigismund visits the Cârţa monastery.
1421 Turks destroy the Cârţa Abbey and the monastery church.
1439 Abbot Michael resigns his office and justifies this decision with his old age and the attacks to which the monastery is exposed by the Turks and Romanians.
1474 King Matthias decrees the dissolution of the abbey. The entire property of the monastery goes to the Sibiu parish church. The abbey income is to be used to pay for the construction work on the Sibiu and Cârţa church.
1602 The imperial general Basta is camped with his troops near Cârţa.
1803 A court decision emphasizes that the residents of Cârţa are subjects of Sibiu.