Fortified Church Rotbav

Baroque altar

The baroque altar from 1740 has a crucifixion as the main image and above it the risen Christ. The altar fits well into the baroque rebuilt choir.

Pulpit

The stone pulpit from 1740 has the shape of a chalice. Above it is a high-quality baroque canopy from the mid-18th century.

Ring wall

In the 15th century, possibly on the remains of an older ring wall, a new ring wall with an oval ground plan is built. The ring is reinforced by towers. The entrance was through a tower in the southwest of the complex. It was later demolished. A second tower stood south of the church. Today the height of the ring wall is 4-6 meters. The top of the wall is equipped with bretèches alternating with key embrasures.

History

1300 Construction of a flat-roofed Romanesque hall church with a square chancel and a semicircular apse.
1371 The village is mentioned for the first time because of a dispute between Brasov and Rotbav on the one hand and Felidoara on the other. Rotbav appears here for the first time as "Ruffa rippa".
1400-1500 A new ring wall is built with an oval ground plan. The bell tower is fortified and expanded into a keep.
1429 The Rotbav school is mentioned for the first time in a German-language document.
1432 Rotbav is "completely burned down" by the Turks.
1510 60 householders, 3 widows and 5 poor people live in Rotbav. 4 houses are derelict. There is also a miller, a teacher and a bell ringer in the village.
1599 An army is camped in Rotbav and has to be supported by the community with grain, bread, wine, meat and other foodstuffs.
1600 The troops of Michael the Brave kill residents of Rotbav and Maierus.
1603 During the fighting between the voivode Radu Şerban and the Transylvanian prince Moses Székely, the Brasov Region was plundered and devastated. Rotbav's fortified church is taken on July 18, killing 52 residents.
1611 The village is plundered and burned down by the troops of Gabriel Báthori and Prince Radu Şerban short time after.
1690 Imperial troops led by the Prince of Baden demand high war taxes. Rotbav has to pay 100 thalers. Despite this, the village is plundered, the harvest is burned and the cattle are slaughtered.
1846 A woman from Württemberg who traveled to Rotbav reports that "most of the buildings, including the houses, were thatched and had clay floors".
1907 The tower clock was installed. It is a work by the Bernhard Zacharia company from Leipzig.
1977 After the earthquake, the bell tower is consolidated with a concrete structure.
2015 The tower and keep collapse, destroying part of the church.