Fortified Church Beia

Altar

The pre-Reformation Gothic winged altar from 1513 has scenes from the life of St. Ursula and eight depictions of the Passion on its panels. Under the late Gothic sprinkling of the shrine is a later wooden sculpture depicting Christ as the Judge of the World. The altar was brought to the Hill Church in Sighisoara in 2005.

Galleries

Wooden galleries are built in the west, north and south of the church. They are painted in the peasant baroque style of the Rupea region. The years 1768 and 1770 can be read on the parapet.

Organ

Today's organ was built in 1912 by Karl Einschenk (Brasov). It has manual, pedal and 7 registers.

Defenses

Around 1500 a polygonal ring wall was built around the church. In the north-east, south-east and south-west a square tower is built, projecting in front of the wall. Around 1600 a massive hexagonal tower is built in the north-west. When the school was built around 1900, the southwest tower and part of the wall were removed. The enclosing wall to the east collapses a few years later.

History

1442 A document of John of Hunyad is issued in Beia and contains the first mention of the place.
1450-1500 Construction of a Gothic hall church.
1500 Beia is a parish of the Sighisoara See, in which 39 families, 4 shepherds and a schoolmaster live.
1500-1525 The church is fortified.
1671 Fire in the community. 98 families, 9 settlers and 16 widows live in the village.
1703 The community is heavily in debt.
1850-1900 The fortifications of the church are demolished.
1892 A new bell tower is built of bricks on the west side of the old tower.
1909 The enclosing wall of the fortified church to the east collapses.
2005 The altar is brought to the Church on the Hill in Sighisoara.