Fortified church Drăuşeni

Twin windows

Four rectangular pairs of pillars with ledged arch imposts and stone ashlar arches separate the nave from the aisles. There are Romanesque gemel windows in the clerestory. The columns of the gemel windows have crocket capitals.

Bell tower

The bell tower, with a side length of 9m, displays on the west side a projection with a successively stepped west portal. There is a founder’s gallery on the floor above the tower porch; access is gained by the spiral staircase in the south aisle. There is an arcature below the defence storey in the belfry.

West portal

Diverse columns structure the portal jambs. There is capital frieze with acanthus and vine leaf decoration in the upper structure and a base profile in the lower one. The round arch archivolt of the portal consists of several tiers and bead moulding; there is a trefoil arch in the tympanum.

Murals

Fragments of wall paintings from the end of the 14th century have been preserved on the north wall of the central nave. The following scenes can be identified: 1. Judgment scene, 2. Three Kings, 3. Sleeping men, 4. Crucifixion and Descent from the Cross.

Furnishings

The baroque altar from 1787, baroque pulpit from 1887, parish pews with plant and animal decoration from 1638, baptismal font from 1695, organ were removed from the church during renovation. The furnishings were stored in temporary barracks. When at the beginning of the 1980s the appropriate storage was no longer guaranteed, parts of the gallery parapet and the wall paneling were taken away and re-installed in the churches in Sura Mare and Rupea.

The Drăuşeni Sword

The Drăuşeni sword was one of the two swords that the Transylvanian Saxons brought with them when they immigrated. With these swords they staked out the king's soil, Drăuşeni being the easternmost parish and Orastie the westernmost. The Drăuşeni sword was present in the village until the Second World War and then disappeared. A replication has recently been placed in the fortified church.

History

1150-1200 Archaeological investigations have revealed a small hall church from the 12th century. This can be assigned to the first Saxon colonists.
1200-1300 Construction of a late Romanesque pillar basilica with nave and side aisles, choir square, semicircular apse and western tower.
1224 The first documentary mention of the village. "Terra Daraus" is mentioned in Diploma Andreanum or Goldener Freibrief der Siebenbürger Sachsen . Thus, Drăușeni became a free commune of the province of Sibiu.
1490 The place is plundered by Szeklers. The Sibiu Council lodged a complaint with the king about this.
1500 64 families, a schoolmaster, 4 shepherds and 3 paupers live in Drăuşeni. In the village there is a mill and 5 abandoned farms.
1500 Most of the side aisles will be removed. The arches between the main and side aisles are bricked up.
1600-1700 Wooden galleries are installed in the church. The gallery parapets are decorated with motifs from Saxon furniture painting. There are also Latin inscriptions and the dates 1637 and 1679.
1689 Austrian mercenaries are in winter quarters in Drăuşeni.
1719 420 people die from the plague.
1972 Occasionally during a renovation, the altar and galleries were moved out of the church. The furnishings were kept in makeshift barracks. When, at the beginning of the 1980s, the appropriate storage was no longer guaranteed, parts of the gallery parapet and the wall cladding were removed and reinstalled in the church in Sura Mare.