Fortified Church Senereuş

Fortified Church Senereuş in Senereuş
Fortified Church Senereuş in Senereuş
Fortified Church Senereuş in Senereuş
Fortified Church Senereuş in Senereuş
Fortified Church Senereuş in Senereuş
Fortified Church Senereuş in Senereuş


In the center of the neo-Gothic altar from 1884 is a painting by Carl Dörschlag from Sibiu depicting Jesus with a chalice.

Baptismal font

An old stone baptismal font with an octagonal cross-section stands under the organ. The new baptismal font in the choir belongs to the neo-Gothic furnishings, as do the pulpit, pulpit lid and choir stalls, and is currently in the museum in Schloss Horneck/Germany.

Pulpit, pulpit cover and choir pews

The pulpit, pulpit lid and choir pews are part of the neo-Gothic furnishings from the 8th and 9th decades of the 19th century.


An organ by Wilhelm Hörbiger with 18 stops was purchased in 1881. The old organ was ceded to Idiciu. Many pipes of the new organ were stolen during the Second World War. In 1992 both organs were sold together to the Roman Catholic St. Michael's Church in Cluj-Napoca.


The remains of an old pew are preserved in the gateway of the bell tower. A Latin inscription mentions the donors and the year 1540.

Gate and bell tower

In the southwest stands the gate and bell tower. The ground floor is covered with a groined vault. On one of the oak door wings, which could be closed with a transom, the year 1568 is written. In times of war the tower could be inhabited. Four brick upper floors have embrasures and beamed ceilings. The fifth floor has a half-timbered gallery. On this floor is also the belfry, in which hang a small bell from 1758, cast by Joseph West from Sighisoara, and a large bell from 1923.

South tower

The southern tower is half in front of the circular wall. It has three floors with embrasures and a steep pyramidal roof.

Northeast tower

A third tower stands to the northeast of the church. Its upper floors were habitable, as indicated by the chimney and small windows. On the third and fourth floors there are two arrow slits each. A Latin inscription from 1553 is preserved on the northeast tower.


1300-1500 Construction of a Gothic hall church with choir.
1430 First documentary mention of the place under the name "Zenaweres". Possibly Senereuş is a secondary settlement of the landlords of Zagăr, as it has unfavorable border conditions, so it can be assumed that it was founded as a wine-growing village of Zagăr.
1500-1600 Construction of the towers and ring wall around the church.
1793 Forests and pastures are divided among nobles. The vineyards and free land acquired through clearing are taken away from the farmers. Nobles establish themselves in the village and build their own estates.
1795 In Senereuş, the resistance to the repartition takes such forms that military is camped in the villages for three months. Old members of the community are led to prison in chains and kept there for 7 weeks.
1850-1880 The community succeeds in purchasing the entire aristocratic property of the former landlords.
1868 The eastern sector of the circular wall is demolished to make room for the choir of the new church.
1870 The old church is demolished.
1870-1873 Construction of the neo-Gothic hall church.
1941 1491 inhabitants lived in Senereuş, 1321 of them Germans.
1944 Since the village was located directly on the Romanian-Hungarian border, the Saxon residents were evacuated in September 1944. About a third returned to Senereuş in 1945
1992 The organ is sold to the Roman Catholic Church of St. Michael in Cluj.

Places in the surroundings