Fortified Church Brateiu

Mural painting

Remnants of mural painting have been preserved on the walls of the chancel end. A depiction of worship by the Magi can be seen. The year 1481 can be read on a banner with Gothic minuscules.

Organ

Johann Jakobus Augustin installed an organ with 10 registers in 1797. The organ has manual, pedal and 10 registers.

Baptismal font

The stone Gothic baptismal font has late Gothic decoration, quatrefoil and trefoil forms.

Altar

An altar from 1512 was painted over in the 18th century. The altar was removed in 1904 and also destroyed. Today's neo-Gothic altar was erected in 1904. In the center is a depiction of Christ flanked by the apostle Petru on the left and Paul on the right.

Bell tower

The bell tower to the west of the church is framed by the side aisles. The capitals of the pillars are decorated with masks and animal figures, including a woman's head that could represent a nun. The tower porch is covered with a simple net vault.

Bells

A bell from the 15th century hangs in the tower with the inscription "o rex glorie veni cum pace". It has a relief with a crucifix and two female figures. A second, also pre-Reformation, small bell shows four reliefs: bird, pelican, griffin and bird with lion head.

Portal

The west portal with a pointed arch ending, is partially dug in and is decorated with vine leaves motifs. The upper end is formed by an arch. The two consoles in the upper ekken represent human faces. Another face mask can be seen in the intersection of the pointed arch.

Gate tower

In the south of the complex is the five-story gate tower with a barrel-vaulted entrance and portcullis.

Defensive wall

Today's Bering shows stylistic features of the time around 1500. It has an irregular polygonal plan. Two square towers reinforce the walls. The terrain slopes down to the north and west of the fortified church. Loopholes and cast holes are served from a wooden battlement inside the fortified church.

History

1283 The village is mentioned for the first time, it is part of the Medias see.
1300-1400 Construction of an early Gothic basilica, from which the small Romanesque arched window in the east of the church possibly comes.
1441 On the occasion of the transfer of the office of count of Birtan, Michael from Brateiu is mentioned as head of the Medias deanery.
1450 The Gothic bell tower is built.
1500 The chancel is covered with a star network vault. At the same time the defense of the church are built.
1516 Brateiu is a community in the upper part of the Medias see, in which 94 Saxon and Romanian families, 6 widows, a settler, 4 shepherds and a schoolmaster live.
1605 During the clashes between Prince Stephan Bocskay and imperial troops, Brateiu is plundered.
1710 Date in an inscription on the oak door of the south entrance.
1773 Emperor Josef II visits the church.
1797 Johann Jakobus Augustin sets up an organ with 10 stops.
1904 Today's neo-Gothic altar is erected.
1959 Archaeological finds from the period between the 4th and 7th centuries were discovered in a sand pit between Brateiu and Ațel