Fortified Church Moardăș

Altar

In the center of the baroque altar from 1789 is a Crucifixion. It is flanked by columns and medallions, with a resurrection image built in above.

Defenses

The church is surrounded by a square ring. In the north-east corner there is a strongly protruding round tower with a conical roof. Remains of the ring wall show that it was of considerable height.

Architectural sculpture

The ribbed vault of the chancel rests on consoles decorated in various ways: leaf and grape ornaments, architectural sculpture, a kneeling figure with a basket on his back, pinnacles and lashings. The pear-shaped ribs meet in three keystones, two of which have rosettes while the third features a face mask.

History

1373 First documented mention of the community. Pastor Michael from Moardăş is chaplain to King Ludwig of Hungary.
1400 Construction of a Gothic hall church with west tower
1414 In the tithing dispute of the Cincu chapter against the bishop of Alba Iulia, Bartholomäus from Moardăş is mentioned among other pastors as a pastor at the St. Nicholas Church.
1475 Vlad Ţepeş resides in Mardic.
1516 Moardăş is a free municipality of the Cincu chair. It is inhabited by 40 families, 3 widows, a shepherd, a miller and a schoolmaster.
1590 Prince Sigismund Báthori awarded several court positions in Moardăş to his followers.
1719 A special church inspection found that the church and rectory building are in very poor condition.
1869 The pastor complains about the neglect of the church and churchyard.
1875 While the church members are in the forest to cut down the necessary wood to support the dilapidated tower, the tower collapses.
1894 Mismanagement and moral decay lead to desolate conditions in the community. Many residents emigrate to America.
1993 The organ is sold to Oradea.