Fortified church in Stejarisu

Bell tower

The massive keep has a windowless ground floor, from which stairs in the thickness of the wall lead to the first floor. Block stairs connect the upper floors. (Horwath 1940/33) The last floor has a wooden battlement.

Altar

In the center of the classical altar is a depiction of Jesus with the sinner. The picture is flanked on both sides by three columns. (Climate 1953 LA)

Brotherhood Ark

A brotherhood chest from 1794 has been preserved in the church. (Climate 1953 LA)

Organ

An organ built by Samuel Mätz for Rode in 1804 was rebuilt in Stejarisu by Wilhelm Mätz in 1859-1862 with a new case. It has 9 registers.

Bells

The large bell is pre-Reformation and has Gothic decoration. (German 1881/140) A smaller bell is dated 1650. (Muller 1860/334)

Ring wall

A partially double ring wall surrounds the church in an irregular polygon. The inner wall was demolished in 1860. (Horwath 1940/33, Vătăşianu 1959/594) In the east of the circular wall there is a tower with a battlement and pyramidal roof. A watch tower in the north-west of the ensemble secures the former entrance to the fortified church, which could also be closed with a portcullis. (, Horwath 1940/33)

History

1223 First mention of the place under the name "terra Borothnik". According to the document, Probstdorf is a subordinate noble community. (Ub.l/26) The village used to be in a different place.
1300 - 1400 Construction of a towerless Gothic hall church with a closed polygonal choir. (Horwath 1940/33, Vătăşianu 1959/594)
1319-1325 A mill and a piece of land are objects a sale. (Ub.1/141, cf. ATCO 1980/119Í)
1359, 1364 Provost Paul von Hermannstadt complains to King Ludwig the Great that the leading men of the Schenker chair are disturbing his possession of Probstdorf. The king orders a border inspection and orders that the provost be restored to possession of the village. (Ub.ll/170, 274)
1400 Probstdorf is mentioned together with Neustadt, Retersdorf, Bekokten, Seligstadt, Hundertbüchein, Jakobsdorf and Roseln as part of the Schenker surrogate of the Kosder (Repser) overall chapter. (Muller 1934/63)
1490 - 1510 Defensive expansion of the church. A massive keep is built in place of the west facade. The south portal is secured with a drop gate, the gullies of which are still visible today. A fortified storey is built over the brick vault, which has a wooden battlement, which in turn rests on buttresses and hanging trestles. (Vătăşianu 1959/594)
1500 Probstdorf is a free municipality of the Schässburger see, in which 34 innkeepers, 3 shepherds and a schoolmaster live; 4 courtyards are deserted. (Berger 1894/65)
1509 Comparison between Probstdorf and Schönberg because of a fish pond and a mill. ('German 1883/541, 551)
1860-1861 Renovation work on the church. The choir has a straight end, the Gothic vault is replaced by a flat stucco ceiling. (Horwath 1940/33)
1867 The foundations of an old church are uncovered on the left bank of the stream between the village and today's road. (Sill 1909/98)
2012 The fortified church of Stejărișu / Probstdorf was part of the EU project "18 fortified churches", where it was extensively renovated in 2012 and opened to the public.