The village is mentioned for the first time in a document from around 1400, in connection with the payment of interest to the chapter of Rupea. In 1638, a large part of the village was destroyed in a fire and rebuilt with the help of surrounding communities. In 1999, the village centre and the fortified church were included in the UNESCO World Heritage List. Today, the village is home to numerous projects and is one of the most important agritourism destinations in Transylvania.
The castle in the west of the village has an upper, a middle and a lower part, which are enclosed by ring walls. The castle is fortified by numerous towers.Read More
A fortified Romanesque church on a hill, south of the village center. It has some of the most valuable Romanesque architecture in all of Transylvania.Read More
The fortified church is in the centre of the village. It is extremely compact, despite the donjon, and is unparalleled in that regard in all of Transylvania.Read More