Fortified Church Tărpiu

Pulpit

On the north side of the nave is a late Gothic stone pulpit. The pulpit base is an inverted pyramid. The pulpit parapet consists of four panels decorated with plant ornaments (delicate twigs and leaves, stylized finials, vegetation), stavework, pointed arch motifs, rosettes and a crucifixion with three female figures. The wrought iron banister was created in 1904.

Sacrament Niche

A rectangular sacramental niche is embedded in the north wall of the chancel. The two columns flanking the tabernacle rise above a profiled sole. They have twisted bases and chalice capitals. The columns end in pinnacles, between which a keel arch is attached to the wall. Above the rectangular lintel is the year 1504. In the tympanum above the tabernacle is a depiction of Jesus as the Man of Sorrows, pointing to his wounds.

Portals

The five stone door surrounds have late Gothic or Renaissance embossing. The west portal has a pointed arch with finial and lateral vine decoration, in the apex of the pointed arch there is a coat of arms shield. The north and south portals have Renaissance surrounds. There are also stone details in the sacristy, a round-arched niche and a rectangular niche.

Bell tower

At a distance of 10 m to the north of the church stands the bell and gate tower. The gate entrance on the ground floor used to have a portcullis, of which the gutters are still visible today. The last floor of the tower is formed by an uncurtained battlement. In the floor below the battlement, which is characterized by a cornice with small brackets in the facades, the clockwork was housed. The other two floors above the gateway have keyhole embrasures. On the west side of the tower is a walled stone doorway with a pointed arch and chamfered profile, indicating the exit to the battlements. On the northwest corner of the tower, at a height of about 6 meters, there is a stone relief depicting a lion. On the southeast corner, at about the same height, is the date 1481.

History

1200-1300 Today's church is a late Gothic hall church, which has included parts of an older church. Some suggest that a 13th-century Romanesque basilica may have stood here before.
1332 In papal tax lists, a plebanus Peter of Tărpiu ("Tripinio, Tripio, Tripimo, Typinio, Tripunio") appears several times. This is the first mention of the village.
1380 The inhabitants of Tărpiu and Dumitra report to the king about attacks of the neighboring nobles. The king orders the Count of Szekler to protect the two villages. The document shows that the two villages are free.
1440 Queen Elizabeth pledges the possessions of Tărpiu and other villages to Gregory Bethlen.
1461 Cardinal James proclaims a 100-day indulgence to all penitent sinners who attend the Church of Tărpiu on certain feast days.
1527 The village is donated by King John Zápolya to Alexius Bethlen. The Bistrita Local Council opposes the donation.
1530 Combat action at Tarpiu. The Moldavian prince Petru Rareș, who intervened in the battle in favour of Zápolia, fights against the citizens of Bistrița and defeats them.
1642 There are 41 families living in the village.
1762 The village burns down.
1780-1781 The Vienna State Council deals with a criminal case from Tărpiu involving the 25-year-old preacher Simon Müller, his mother-in-law and a midwife.
1783 In Tărpiu live 156 Saxon families and 760 people.
1809 The church loses the roof, the interior and three bells in a fire. Ten years later a new roof is put up.
1809-1824 The enclosing wall of the church was left without a roof, and in 1824 it was provided with a shingle roof and the wall was covered with rough plaster.
1865 Iron keys are inserted into the tower and the tower is subsequently re-plastered.

Places in the surroundings