The church itself was built without any tower in the 14th century, in gothic manner. Around 1500, the village takes defensive measures, and builds the massive donjon where the southern entrance used to be. The top of the donjon is still used today as a bacon storage.
Misch Gierling +40 (0) 269 709 470
The belltower / donjon hosts a room with the village's very own traditional bacon storage. It is being used just like in the old days.
The massive keep has a windowless ground floor, from which stairs in the thickness of the wall lead to the first floor. Block stairs connect the upper floors. The last floor has a wooden battlement.
In the center of the classical altar is a depiction of Jesus with the sinner. The picture is flanked on both sides by three columns.
A brotherhood chest from 1794 has been preserved in the church.
An organ built by Samuel Mätz for Rode in 1804 was rebuilt in Stejarisu by Wilhelm Mätz in 1859-1862 with a new case. It has 9 registers.
The large bell is pre-Reformation and has Gothic decoration. A smaller bell is dated to 1650.
A partially double ring wall surrounds the church in an irregular polygon. The inner wall was demolished in 1860. In the east of the circular wall there is a tower with a battlement and pyramidal roof. A watch tower in the north-west of the ensemble secures the former entrance to the fortified church, which could also be closed with a portcullis.
|1223||First mention of the place under the name "terra Borothnik". According to the document, Probstdorf is a subordinate noble community. The village used to be in a different place.|
|1300 - 1400||Construction of a towerless Gothic hall church with a closed polygonal choir.|
|1319-1325||A mill and a piece of land are objects a sale.|
|1359, 1364||Provost Paul von Hermannstadt complains to King Ludwig the Great that the leading men of the Schenker chair are disturbing his possession of Probstdorf. The king orders a border inspection and orders that the provost be restored to possession of the village.|
|1400||Probstdorf is mentioned together with Neustadt, Retersdorf, Bekokten, Seligstadt, Hundertbüchein, Jakobsdorf and Roseln as part of the Schenker surrogate of the Kosder overall chapter.|
|1490 - 1510||Defensive expansion of the church. A massive keep is built in place of the west facade. The south portal is secured with a drop gate, the gullies of which are still visible today. A fortified storey is built over the brick vault, which has a wooden battlement, which in turn rests on buttresses and hanging trestles.|
|1500||Probstdorf is a free municipality of the Schässburger see, in which 34 innkeepers, 3 shepherds and a schoolmaster live, 4 courtyards are deserted.|
|1509||Comparison between Probstdorf and Schönberg because of a fish pond and a mill.|
|1860-1861||Renovation work on the church. The choir has a straight end, the Gothic vault is replaced by a flat stucco ceiling.|
|1867||The foundations of an old church are uncovered on the left bank of the stream between the village and today's road.|
|2012||The fortified church of Stejărișu / Probstdorf was part of the EU project "18 fortified churches", where it was extensively renovated in 2012 and opened to the public.|