Fortified church in Selistat


The altar was originally built in 1807, and shows distinctive features of both the late baroque- and the classical period. The main painting is a work of Fritz Schullerus from 1892.


The pulpit was made in 1652, and was repaired in 1807.

Church organ

An organ is mentioned in 1694. In 1867 the organ builder Samuel Binder combines two older organs crafts a new one with 10 registers. This current organ, was repaired in 1911.


There are two bells. The minor has no manufacturing date, and the bigger one was built in 1921 in Sibiu. They are currently not functioning in the clock system under the roof.

Ring wall

In the 15th century, The church is surrounded by a curtain wall. In the north-east stands a three-story defensive bastion. The building served to store grain. In 1912 the fortified building north of the church was demolished. More recently, the school is being built to the south of the church.


1355 The Sibiu Province of the Seven Chairs awards the "Widental" area to Merge. The inhabitants of Noistat, Netus, Movile, and Selistat ("Selgestat") had disputed this area with the Merge. This is the first documented mention of Selistat.
1461 It is mentioned that the church of Seligstadt is dedicated to Saint Nicholas.
1480-1500 The church is being rebuilt. A three-storey defense tower made of river and field stones is built above the chancel.
1500 About 34 innkeepers live in the village, there is a school and a mill, three shepherds and two poor people.
1508 The king exempts Seligstadt and other places in the area from billeting.
1532 53 hosts live in the village.
1848 Today's brick vault is erected in place of the Gothic star network vault. It consists of barrels supported on belt arches.
1896 Repair of the church.
1964 Consolidation of the church by concrete belts.

Places in the surroundings