Fortified church Seleuș

Altar

The baroque altar dates back to 1713. It was made and painted by Andreas Hermann from Sibiu. The predella shows a depiction of the Last Supper. The main picture shows a crucifixion, above an entombment. Wooden statues of Peter and Paul flank the main image. In addition to the representations mentioned, images of Gethsemane, the interrogation of the high priests, Adam and Eve and the four evangelists can be seen on the altar.

Organ

The organ was built by Carl Schneider from Brașov. It has 24 registers, 2 manuals and pedal.

Bell tower

The bell tower is separated from the church to the south-east in the enclosing wall. It has a wooden battlement and a gateway. On the ground floor it has massive stone walls. There is a working clock in the tower and originally there were also two bells, the larger of which dates from the 14th century and bears the majuscule inscription "O REX GLORIE VENI CUM PACE".

Brotherhood flags

Two brotherhood flags from 1772 and 1817 have been preserved inside the church.

Fortifications

A 2 m high wall surrounds the churchyard. During the construction work on the wall in 1504, the Sighisoara See granted a tax reduction of 7 guilders.

History

1348 First documented mention. The assembly of nobles explains to the abbot of Kolozsmonostor that a group of five villages, including Seleuș, belong to the monastery of Kolozsmonostor but are at this time in other hands, to which the abbot objects. From this it can be seen that the five communities of Seleuș, Hoghilag, Laslea, Duneș and Prod were originally located on landlord territory and not on the free kings ground.
1500 Seleuș with 70 families and 3 shepherds appears among the parishes of the Sighisoara See. There is also a school, a mill and a deserted yard in the village.
1503-1504 A tax reduction is granted for the construction of the church. During this time the church was converted into a fortified church.
1505-1507 Due to fire damage, the see of Sighișoara reduced taxes several times.
1593 141 families and 11 settlers are counted in the village
1609 The civil war has drastically reduced the population. 29 families still live in the community
1662 At the end of January, the decisive battle between the Turkish troops under Kuchuk Pasha from the army of Prince Michael Apafi and the counter-prince Johann Kemény, who was supported by Austria, took place near Seleuș. Kemény's troops are routed, Kemény himself perishes in battle.
1703 Due to the liberation by the Habsburgs, Seleuș owes 2,218 guilders.
1899-1903 71 people emigrate to America

Places in the surroundings