Peasant fortress in Saschiz

Driveway to the castle

The driveway to the castle is located on the southeast side of the castle hill. It first leads under a fortified gatehouse into the outer castle. Further on, one reaches the guard tower and then the gate tower. The guard tower has a battlement and a battlement floor. The gate tower has three floors and protects the gate entrance to the main castle. It has a monopitch roof and numerous embrasures. The entrance used to be secured by a portcullis.

Ring wall

The ring wall encloses an oval courtyard, 90 m long and 52 m wide. On the outside, the curtain wall reaches an average height of 10 m and is 1.8-2 m thick at the base. Towards the courtyard, the curtain wall has a wooden walkway with a parapet connecting the six towers.

Parish Tower, Prince's Tower

In the north-east corner is the parish tower, which has been developed as a residential tower. It has a rectangular ground plan and is covered with a shed roof. On the northwest side of the castle is the three-storey prince's tower, which is in front of the ring wall. This year was identified on this tower.

Castle fountain

North of the powder tower in the courtyard is the castle well, which is 80 m deep.

Powder tower

In the southwest of the oval circular wall stands the powder tower with four floors and square ground plan. It has a tent roof. In the south, at the point where the outer wall meets the main wall, there is a tower. In the castle courtyard there is a rectangular chapel, 12 x 6 m in size. Remains of wall paintings are preserved inside; David's victory over Goliath could be recognized earlier.


1000-1100 Establishment of the settlement by Szekler border guards in the course of the expansion of the Kingdom of Hungary into the eastern areas of Transylvania and the advancement of the Gyepü defense line.
1161-1241 The Székelys living in this area are partially replaced by German settlers. They are resettled on the eastern edge of Transylvania, where they found the chair "Kézdi".
1300-1400 The farmer's castle was built to the west of Saschiz on a hilltop that drops steeply on three sides.
1309 First documented mention of the place. Saschiz is the focus of a chapter that bears the name "Kisdér" (Saschiz).
1347 On the northwest side of the castle is the three-storey prince's tower, which is in front of the ring wall. This year was identified on this tower.
1356 "Comes Jacobus" complains to the voivode that the Saxons from Saschiz and other villages have broken into his properties in Vânători and Șard and threatened his wife and daughters. They then damaged the church in Bunesti and stole property documents.
1419 The count Michael of Nadeș reports to King Sigismund that at the time of King Louis the community of Saschiz ("civitate Zaazkyzd") had a king-appointed king's judge and a self-elected jury. The king confirmed these judicial powers of Saschiz.
1470 The voivode Johann Pongracz issues a document in Saschiz, which states that half of the Saschiz community may stay behind in case of a military deployment to defend the castle. The other half has to take part in the military operation.
1478 In the village there is a furrier guild (a guild for fur-processing)
1493 All residents of Saschiz are stopped by the governor, under threat of punishment, to help build the church. For the duration of the construction work, the village is released from the obligation to take part in the army campaigns against the Turks.
1500 209 Families, a schoolmaster, 7 settlers and 8 shepherds live in the village.
1535 Oldest document about the Saschiz blacksmiths' guild.
1570 A hospital is mentioned in Saschiz, for the construction of which a donation is made.
1604 General Basta's imperial troops cause great expense.
1658 Turkish troops of Prince A. Barcsai are billeted in Saschiz.
1663 The prince of the Moldau camps in Saschiz with 600 men. The place and the church are plundered.
1666 The top floor of the school tower is available to the rector.
1671 Saschiz is among the rural communities of the Sighisoara Chair in first place. It has 143 families, 34 settlers and 51 widows.
1703 The municipality has a debt of 6349 guilders. Meadows, forests and farmland are pledged to the creditors for the interest.
1714 Major fire in the Village. The tower, rectory, school, town hall, preacher's building and most of the market are damaged or destroyed. The three bells melt and the tower clock burns.
1865 Charles Boner visits the castle and the overseer's residence. He finds rusty weapons, a kettledrum and an old speaking tube.
1884 Friedrich Teutsch states that the castle with its towers is relatively well preserved. In the guard room he describes the beams, the slugs and the tiled stove. On the walls are chests and frames with jugs and jugs.
1999 Since this year Saschiz is on the UNESCO World Heritage List.

Places in the surroundings