Fortified Church Roadeş


The Late-Gothic 1533 altar stood in the choir till 1998, when it was transferred to the Saint John’s Church in Sibiu. The folding altar dated to the transition period between Gothic and Renaissance is among the best preserved and most valuable pre-Reformation altars in Transylvania. The shrine displays wood sculptures of St. John the Baptist and of St. John the Evangelist. The 12 flanking panels represent scenes from the life of St. John the Baptist and from the Passion of Christ.

Baroque canopy

The brick pulpit has a baroque canopy, dated 1715.

Baptismal font

The goblet-shaped Gothic baptismal font has exposed tracery decoration.


In 1838 Petrus Schneider from Brasov builds the present organ. It has a manual, pedal and 11 stops. The brightly painted wooden case is later gilded.


In 1880 a bell from 1550 was recast. In addition to the old bell from 1550/1880, there are currently two bells from 1924.

Ring wall

The church is surrounded by a polygonal ring reinforced by five protruding three-storey towers. In the south, the ring wall is doubled. The inner ring wall still has the battlements running on hanging trestles. The north-west tower - "parish tower" - has been preserved in relatively good shape. The main entrance is reinforced by a gate building with a mansard roof. Iron-bound door leaves have been preserved. ]In the south-east of the outer (second) ring wall is another tower present.

Bell tower

The bell tower had five floors and a wooden parapet. The windows have been bricked up to form loopholes. In February 2016, the bell tower partially collapsed. A temporary roof was erected, which still stands today.


1300-1400 Construction of a Gothic church, probably a basilica.
1356 In the complaint of Count James before the Transylvanian Voivode about the behavior of the Saxons of Saschiz, Archita, Roades, Crit, Mesendorf and Cloasterf, who broke into his estate in Vanatori, Roadeş is mentioned for the first time in documents.
1469 Sighisoara Council asks Sibiu Council to exempt Roadeș and Meșendorf, which were burnt down, from taxes.
1494 Support from Sibiu for the construction of the church.
1500 Roadeș is a village in Sighișoara, where 58 families, a teacher and 3 shepherds live.
1526 Construction of the sacristy. The painted sacristy door bears the date 1526.
1596 Roadeş has 124 families.
1663 Prince Apafi's court servants and Turkish mercenaries oppress the village.
1700 The wooden galleries in the hall are installed. The mirrors of the parapets are painted. Among other motifs of rural decoration there is also a depiction of the Roadeş fortified church.
1703 The community owes 2,616 guilders. Some of the interest has to be paid off through work.
1998 Until that year, the late Gothic altar from 1533 stood in the chancel and is now kept in the Church of St. John in Sibiu.
2016 In February, the bell tower partially collapsed. A temporary roof was erected, which still stands today.

Places in the surroundings