Castle Râșnov

Advanced work

In the southeast corner of the main castle there is an outwork which, in conjunction with the armory tower, protected the main entrance to the castle. The fortified oak gate is additionally reinforced with iron rails and portcullis. The outer wall is crowned by battlements. Above the entrance gate is the castle keeper's room, measuring 5 x 6 m.

Towers

In the middle of the eastern castle wall is the pentagonal tower. Further towers stood in the north-east corner and on the west side (parish tower). Two more outward-projecting towers stand to the north-west and east of the complex, respectively.

Archaeological finds

Archaeological finds prove the existence of human settlements from the Bronze Age and from the Dacian period. The foundations of an old church from the 11th century were also uncovered during excavations. The church hall has a length of 23.65 m.

History

1220 A wooden castle of the Teutonic Knights may have stood here.
1231 A document mentions 5 castles that were built by the Teutonic Knights in the Brasov region. One of them is probably the Râșnov Castle.
1300-1400 The oldest parts of the castle date back to the 14th century.
1331 Râșnov was first mentioned in a document in connection with the return of the Black Castle (a castle on the mountain near Codlea).
1377 Râșnov forms with the 12 other free communities of the Brasov Region a judicial and administrative unit with Brasov.
1413 A hospital for lepers is mentioned in a document.
1427 King Sigismund and the Queen are staying in Râșnov. The king granted the right to hold a weekly market every Wednesday.
1437 Vlad II Dracul, voivode of Wallachia, grants trading privileges to residents of Kronstadt district. Among others, two judges travel from Râșnov to Tîrgovişte as negotiators.
1456 The Râșnov judge took part in a Brasov delegation that concluded an anti-Turkish agreement with the Wallachian prince Vlad Ţepeş.
1510 In Râșnov live 140 families, 24 widows, 10 poor, 4 servants, 14 shepherds, 8 widows of poor people, a Romanian clergyman and a Romanian noble. In the village are 9 deserted houses, a school house and a bell ringer's house.
1523 The expelled Wallachian prince Radu de la Afumaţi is granted refuge in Râșnov.
1530 The widow and daughter of the Wallachian prince Neagoe Basarab find refuge in Râșnov.
1544 There is a powder maker in Râșnov.
1585 Large parts of the place are destroyed by fire. Sigismund Báthori donated 500 guilders for the reconstruction.
1600-03 Soldiers from the army of Michael the Brave plunder the place. The preacher Paul and his son are cut to pieces.
1603 Basta's troops move into winter quarters in Ghimbav, Cristian and Râșnov and cause great damage. The battle between Prince Radu Şerban and the Transylvanian Prince Moses Székely takes place near Râșnov.
1611 Prince Gabriel Báthori's troops burn down Râșnov and other Brasov region communities. The castle was occupied by Gabriel Báthori and only returned to the Saxons in 1613 together with the Bran castle after paying 3000 guilders.
1621 There is a glassworks in Râșnov.
1623-1640 A 146 m deep well is carved into the rock.
1658 Râșnov has to buy himself free from the Turks and after payment it is cremated anyway.
1704-1707 Râșnov suffered a lot from the kurucs.
1802 Earthquake damage to vicarage and castle.
1976 During excavations, the foundations of an old church from the 11th century were uncovered. The church hall has a length of 23.65 m.
2000 The castle was leased to an Italian entrepreneur who, on the one hand, consolidated the walls, cut back the vegetation, and on the other hand, made massive cuts into the original substance.

Places in the surroundings