The early Gothic hall church of the 14th century with attached west tower and polygonal choir has two fortification walls equipped with three defense towers, two of which have been preserved. The interior is characterized by the three-sided gallery decorated with Baroque paintings and the winged altar from 1693 with an integrated organ.
Doina Scoica +40 (0) 770 239 870
In 1495 a first ring wall is built around the church from sandstone and fieldstone (still 5 m high today). The covered parapet walk supported by hanging trestles with arrow slits (still preserved in the southern sector) runs at a height of 2 m. Two three-storey defense towers are erected in the south-east and south-west corner of the fortified church. A second outer ring wall with loopholes (still 3 m high today) was added on the west, south and east sides in the 16th century and formed a ward.
The winged altar with two moveable and two fixed wings was copied from an old winged altar in 1653. The altarpieces inside depict images of the Passion. The four new altarpieces on the wings depicting the four heads of the evangelists are added later.
The small old bell has five indistinct images on the upper edge, one of which shows the Crucified with the two Marys. The year 1515 is legible. The other two bells are from 1907 and 1923
The pulpit is brick. The crown and parapet are made of wood. The crown bears the year 1790
The bell tower, which was developed for military purposes, is very old, has a half-timbered walkway and a steep pyramidal roof.
Inside are many galleries painted by Georg Rosenauer in 1765. They try to depict landscapes in a simple way.
|1289||First documented mention of the place on the occasion of a border inspection from the neighboring village of Granari and Șaroș. There is talk of a "terra Popteluky", i.e. parish village.|
|1300 - 1400||Construction of an early Gothic hall church with west tower.|
|1322||Meșendorf appears as a possession of the Cârța Abbey.|
|1356||Among the Saxons who broke into the estate of "Comes Jacobus" in Vânători were residents of Meșendorf.|
|1418||The subjects from Viscri, Cloașterf and Meșendorf refuse to pay the taxes due to the monastery in Cârța. The king instructs the dean of the Sibiu chapter and the king's judge of Sibiu to summon twelve jurors from the community and have them pay the taxes to the monastery.|
|1448||The residents of Viscri, Cloașterf and Meșendorf brought proceedings against Abbot Johannes Bornequel from Cârța.|
|1469||Because Meșendorf burned down, the council of Sighișoara asks that the village be exempted from taxes.|
|1474||King Matthias orders the dissolution of the Cârța Abbey. So Meșendorf comes into the possession of Sibiu.|
|1495||The bell tower is upgraded for military purposes. A ring wall was built around the church from sandstone and fieldstone (still 5 m high today).|
|1500||Meșendorf is a parish of the Sighisoara see, in which 58 families, a schoolmaster and two shepherds live.|
|1589-1590||Prince Sigismund Báthori gave his brother Balthasar Báthori the former possessions of the abbey, including Meșendorf. Representatives of the Sibiu magistrate protest against this.|
|1653||The year 1653 is written on the ledge below the altar.|
|1719||Plague epidemic in the village|
|1863||By a decision of the Transylvanian Court Chancellery, the three former possessions of the Abbey in Cârța, Cloașterf and Meșendorf are attached to the Sighisoara Chair.|