Fortified Church Măieruș

Altar and organ

The classical altar from the beginning of the 19th century is connected to the organ. The main image is a depiction of Gethsemane flanked by wooden sculptures depicting the apostle Paul and another apostle. Today's organ is a work by the Rieger company (Krnov in today's Czech Republic) from 1907. It has 2 manuals, pedal and 10 registers.

South portal

The south portal has a stone frame that was made in the 15th century. The profiling consists of two pear bars and four round bars. The portal is flanked by two slender pinnacles.

Ring wall

The ring wall was built in the 15th century, the remains of which can still be seen today. It has a height of 6-8 m and is equipped with loopholes, machicolations and a battlements. At the end of the 19th century, parts of the ring wall gave way to a new school building


1300-1500 Construction of a Gothic hall church with a bell tower.
1377 First documented mention: Măeruș ("villa Nucum") together with the other 12 free towns of the Brasov region forms an administrative unit with Brasov. The inhabitants of these places are obliged to serve the king together with the town of Brasov.
1400-1500 The circular wall is built, of which remains can still be seen today.
1427 King Sigismund of Luxembourg and later emperor visits the village.
1510 In the village live 59 families, 6 widows, a bell-ringer and 4 shepherds.
1599-1660 The village is sacked twice by the troops of Michael the Brave.
1611 Măieruș and other Brasov region villages are burned down by the Wallachian voivode Radu Şerban.
1658 Armies in the wake of the Turkish army burn Măieruș and other villages.
1690 Imperial troops plunder the village.
1791-1793 The old choir is demolished and the hall is extended to the east.
1842 The bell tower is raised.
1890 Parts of the ring wall give way to a new school building.
2015 The organ is renovated by the organ builder László Bors and newly consecrated.

Places in the surroundings