Fortified Church Lechința

Altar

The pre-Reformation (before 1545) altar table consists of a stone slab. Above the brick table rises the classicist altar, which still has Baroque elements. It may have been made around 1800. The main painting, the Blessing of the Children, is the work of A. Dörschlag, below it in the predella is a depiction of the Last Supper, above it in a Baroque-like mirror is the Resurrection.

Pews

A pew dated 1741 has remains of painting and the name of the donor : "Anna Dorothea Wolffin". The painting depicts, among other things, a human figure with a column. Another pews, dated 1745, has tendril decoration.

Baptismal fonts

A Gothic baptismal font with the year 1494 has the shape of a chalice standing on a profiled octagonal base. The stone is painted over. The overpainting bears the year 1853. The dome-shaped wooden attachment may also come from this period. A new marble baptismal font has neo-Gothic style elements. It bears the year 1889.

West portal

The west portal ends in a round arch archivolt with Gothic profiling. The chancel arch displays Gothic profiling and ends in a capital frieze with foliage and zoomorphic decoration.

Ring wall

A simple circular wall with an oval ground plan encloses the churchyard. The wall has preserved embrasures.

Bell tower

The 15th-century bell tower to the south-east of the church has a battlement topped by a steep pyramidal roof. The embrasures have stone borders. The large bell has an inscription in Latin which, among other things, also mentions the dignitaries at the time of its casting (1793). The middle and small bells have German inscriptions. They were cast in Sibiu in 1923. On the bell tower is a tower clock from 1861.

History

1300-1400 Construction of a towerless Gothic hall church.
1335 First documented mention. Pastor Johannes von Lechnitz appears among the papal taxpayers under the name "Johannes plebanus de Lekenche".
1351 Lechința is owned by various nobles, i.e. a subject community.
1400-1500 Construction of a bell tower southeast of the church.
1430 Between the Saxons of Lechința and the nobles from the northern Țigău there are disputes and violence, in the course of which two nobles are killed.
1452 Various testimonies in connection with robbery of church utensils from the Bartholomew Church of Lechința.
1475 Upon request to the king, the village receives the right to freely choose its pastor.
1545 The people of Lechința kill some nobles. For this they have to pay a large fine and borrow money from the town of Bistrita.
1602 The village is devastated during the civil war. Only one farmer survives.
1642 In Lechința live 8 families.
1700-1800 The nave is covered with a barrel vault with lunette caps.
1800 Three annual markets are held in the village.
1808 First baptism of a gypsy child.
1944 Exodus of the evangelical population in the direction of Austria.
2000-Present The Saxon Community in Germany has looked after the maintenance of the pile in the past few years.

Places in the surroundings