Romanesque Church Herina

Altarpiece

On a stone table rises a wooden altarpiece, 1.7 x 3.5 meters. In the center is a wooden crucifix, possibly from Gothic times, above which is an eye of God. Behind the altar is a tombstone rest, which shows as ornament a sun wheel.

Sacrament Niche

In the northern choir wall is a small whitewashed sacramental niche made of hewn limestone. The rectangular niche is flanked by small round columns supporting foliate brackets. The upper finial is a donkey-back profile flanked by two pinnacles and a finial topped with a finial.

Crypt

Under the choir there is a room, probably a crypt. Tradition says that from this room a passage led to the demolished count's house.

Portals

The vaulting of the west portal is richly articulated: quadruple gradation with columns or semicircular round bars in the rectangular gradations. In the Romanesque portal vaulting there is a Gothic door frame with shouldered arch and pear-bar moulding. The south portal also has a richly articulated wall with three pairs of columns and round arch finial.

History

1215 The Romanesque church was built by the nobleman Simon de Kacsis.
1246 Alba Iulia bishop Gallus reports to King Béla IV that few residents are still alive in Herina as a result of the Tatar invasion.
1341 The Alba Iulia bishop complains about acts of violence by the Transylvanian voivode Thomas. It is mentioned that the voivode had plundered Herina.
1380-95 The Transylvanian bishop exchanges Herina and other places for a castle. This is how Herina came into royal possession. King Sigismund exchanges Herina and other places for other goods. Herina becomes aristocratic property again.
1886 The church is closed due to dilapidation.
1887-1898 Extensive restoration by the Hungarian Monument Preservation on the church.
1944 The organ bought in 1913 was destroyed in 1944.

Places in the surroundings