Fortified Church Gușterița


The 1776 Baroque altar is on display in the Museum of Transylvania in Cluj; in the church stands a neo-Gothic altar dated to 1898. The central picture shows the blessing of children. Gothic ornaments, columns, pinnacles, finials and tracery surround the image.


The 1792 organ with its late-Baroque front case mark the church interior. The organ has manual, pedal and 16 stops


The church and chapel are surrounded by an oval ring, built of stone and brick. The oval shape indicates a considerable age.


The pews in the choir and nave are dated 1677, 1712, 1746, 1765, 1796 and 1806.


Southeast of the church, inside the circular wall, there is a Gothic chapel with buttresses and 5/8 chancel end, it had a double portal. At present it is converted into a dwelling.

Sedilia and sacramental niche

A sedilia and a sacramental niche decorated in Gothic style date from around 1500.


1200-1250 Construction of a three-aisled pillar arcade basilica, of which the walls of the side aisles, the square pillars, the cross vaults of the side aisles, the southern apsidiole, the remains of the two portals in the south and north and the walls of the choir square have been preserved.
1309 First documented mention of "Johannes Plebanus in villa Humberti" is called as a witness in the tithe trial against the bishop of Weißenburg.
1342 Representatives of the place take part in the Sibiu chair meeting. This shows that the place was a free community of the Sibiu see.
1494 On the occasion of the stay of the Hungarian King Wladislaus II in Sibiu, 51 buckets of oats, 74 chickens, 200 eggs, 12 ducks, as well as onions and cabbage are bought in Gușterița.
1600 The troops of the imperial general Basta burn the village.
1658 Turks and Romanian camp in Gușterița. Village and church suffer damage.
1661 Turkish troops under Ali Pasha cause great devastation in Gușterița. The church is also destroyed.
1662 Reconstruction of the destroyed church.
1690 The village is burned down by Tököli troops.
1705 Plundering by kurucs.
1710-1711 132 people die from the plague.
1710-1711 The houses of the Saxons are all made of stone.
1738 Plague epidemic

Places in the surroundings