Fortified Church Ghimbav

Altar

The classicist altar is dominated by the figure of Christ on the globe. The upper end is formed by a wide main cornice. The central field is flanked by three Corinthian columns. The crowning of the altar is formed by two angel figures and an oval of rays. The altar was built in 1848 according to the plan of Heinrich Pop, painter from Brasov.

Organ

An organ with a manual and 16 stops was built in 1786 by Johann Prause from Prussia. It stood in the choir and was connected with the altar. The organ was repaired in 1848 and moved to the west gallery. The organ has a manual with 11 stops and a pedal with 5 sounding stops. The organ prospect has classicistic style features.

Bell tower

The belfry is being fortified, it measures 19 m up to the roof truss. It is equipped with shooting niches for archers. On the ground floor the walls measure 2.6 m. The upper end of the bell tower is formed by a truncated pyramid, above which is a wooden gallery crowned by a pointed helmet.

Tower clock

The tower clock was made in 1870 by the Mannhardt company (Munich).

Portal

The portal is structured by three strong round bars and a pear bar with intervening fillets. The molding runs without capitals from the side wall to the portal arch. On the tympanum there is a trefoil. The portal is flanked by pinnacles.

Ring wall

The present ring wall of Ghimbav has features of the defensive structures of the 15th century. An older fortification ring can be assumed. The polygonal ring with towers protruding in front of the wall line is surrounded by a moat. In the southeast stood the gate tower with drawbridge. Access was through an elongated building with a long barrel-vaulted entrance on the ground floor, which could be blocked by portcullis and trapdoors, above which were two defensive floors with numerous pitch noses and embrasures. Two small semicylindrical towers flank the entrance. The circular wall, from which the battlements are cut out in the upper part, is 1.5-2 m thick. The circular wall is equipped with embrasures and box-like protruding double pitch noses. Five towers with 4-5 floors and pent roof reinforce the ring. All towers protrude in front of the wall line. A second ring wall, located in front of the first one, forms an intermediate space. Remains of this ring wall are preserved in the north of the fortified church.

History

1200-1300 Construction of an early Gothic basilica.
1342 First documented mention of the place. Konrad of Ghimbav appears in a deed of donation.
1375 Year on an oak post in the tower.
1377 A royal privilege stipulates that Brasov and 13 free villages of the Brasov region form a judicial and administrative unit, the capital of which is the city of Brasov.
1400-1500 The Romanesque basilica is rebuilt in the Gothic style.
1413 A document about a foundation for the chapel of the Holy Corpse shows that the Ghimbav church was dedicated to the apostle Peter and that there was also a holy parable chapel in the village.
1421 King Sigismund waived the taxes for the residents of Brasov, Ghimbav and five other Țara Bârsei communities because of the damage suffered by the Turkish invasion.
1510 In Ghimbav live 133 families, 11 widows, 2 settlers, 10 poor people, 6 shepherds, a miller, a school teacher, a bell ringer and a servant. 5 houses are deserted.
1599-1603 The village is ravaged by armies three times.
1611-12 Prince Gabriel Báthori's troops burn down a large part of the Brasov region communities, including Ghimbav. The fortified church is handed over to Gabriel Báthori without a fight.
1658 The fortified church is handed over to the Turks and Tatars without a fight. Of the 909 people in the castle, many are taken away, burned, stabbed or hanged. 220 people are freed again. The place is plundered and finally set on fire together with the fortified church.
1704 Kurucs rob 200 horses in Ghimbav.

Places in the surroundings